7 Tried And True Self-Care Tips To Get You Through The Last Month Of The Semester

Treating yourself doesn't always mean Netflix and chocolate.

205
Tirachard Kumtanom

Summer is so close you can practically taste the lemonade, but we all know too well it will be a long and hard road to get there. Finals are unavoidable, and with them comes the most stressful time of the semester. If you're anything like me, you've already begun feeling like you can barely keep your head above water.

Although I hardly have a spare minute in my packed schedule, I'm still a big proponent of carving out time for some good ole' self-care. Even if it means 20 minutes less spent studying for the next exam on your agenda, prioritizing time to take care of your own needs and keep yourself in a healthy mental state is worth it.

1. Write

When I'm feeling down or stressed, writing is my go-to. Even if you've never been a writer, being able to vent your stressors onto a blank page is a helpful way to get them off your chest without worrying about burdening other people. Writing is very meditative and helps mentally organize and cope with everything happening around you -- no matter if its more creative like poetry or more to-the-point like journaling.

2. Exercise

I hate exercise. I hate sweating, I'm not good at it and I'm so tall and gangly that I'm pretty sure I look awkward as hell when I'm doing it. However, I do feel more motivated to tackle other things afterwards. On days I'm busiest, I know that going to the gym will get my blood flowing and put me in a mindset to handle everything else on my plate for the day. Plus, I feel more accomplished knowing I'm taking care of my body.

3. Sleep

If your body is telling you it needs a nap, take the nap. Even though it may mean going to sleep a bit later to get everything done, you've made up that sleep by napping anyways, and then your mind is refreshed and ready to face the rest of your papers piling up. If you still don't get everything done, it's not the end of the world. Your mental health is more important than your grades, and odds are it won't have any affect your ability to get a degree and a job.

4. Clean and organize

My roommates know I tend to be a cluttered mess. However, when I'm feeling overwhelmed, taking 20 minutes to clean off my desk, put my clothes away, or organize my school materials makes me feel more in control of my life. Cleaning up is one easy thing to check off the list, and it makes your life feel a bit more manageable.

5. Hygiene and beauty

Setting aside some time to take care of your appearance can pay off in the long run. Look good feel good, amirite? I've got nothing against the grout-fit lifestyle, but when I've spent all day in leggings with my hair up and my glasses on, I don't feel like I've fully woken up. Taking a warm shower, doing my hair and makeup and painting my nails leave me feeling prepped and ready to face anything life throws at me.

6. Cook

Preparing a nice healthy meal leaves me feeling in charge of my day. I can take a break from assignments and responsibilities to choose something yummy and health-conscious, so I'm not just taking care of my mental health, but my physical health, too. I like feeling independent, so making myself what I want is an easy way to practice this. Following recipes is really methodic and gives your mind a relaxed break. Check out this recipe for vegetarian gyros -- one of my favorites. I live for the roasted chickpeas, and recommend adding french fries in them for extra taste and comfort -- plus, this makes them more authentic to real Greek gyros!

7. Get away

Like I've said, practicing independence is really calming for me. I love spending time with my friends, but sometimes it's nice to get off campus for my own adventure -- even if it's just going to CVS or Target. The time alone is refreshing, and puts you in an empowered mindset that you're ready to take on the world.

I hope some of my favorite tips can help you get through the semester, too! Treat yourself and power through -- you're almost done!