How Not One, But Two Car Accidents Changed My Life

Count your blessings.

108
Courtney Bouthillette
I would like to preface this by saying that I am not writing for pity or any sort of attention. I am simply writing this to share an experience that I will believe make you think more about the value of your life.

It was a hot summer day and I was rushing to get to work. If there’s anything I want you to take away from this story, it’s Do. Not. Rush. I am someone who constantly runs late, so rushing is just apart of my nature, but ever since July, I would start to look at life differently. As I was on the expressway all I kept thinking was, Oh my god. I’m going to be late. I’m going to lose money. I have to save up for school. I gotta get there NOW.”

Traffic was heavy, and my patience was low. My foot must've been as heavy as the traffic that day because before I knew it I was smashed into the car in front of me. Luckily, no one was injured, but my car was. Poor little Kia would never be the same. From that moment on, I knew that I messed up. I didn't give myself enough time to think. But I really needed to start. I needed to stop rushing and worrying about how much money I was going to make that day. One careless act of not paying attention caused me a major setback.

You see, your life is so much more important than any job, person, or meeting or being on time to anything in general. First, you have to make sure you get there in one piece. You have to take care of yourself. Especially when you’re driving. From that point on, I’d thought I’d learn my lesson. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case.

About a week ago, I was with one of my very close friends. We had grabbed dinner, hung out a little bit before she had to be home. Now, I had just gotten a car a few days before. There wasn't a car payment and it was in good condition. (Thanks, Mom.)

As I was taking my friend home, I knew I was rushing, but I didn't think too much about it.

I didn’t think anything bad was going to happen that day.

I was stopped at a stop sign at a four way intersection. However, the lady on the right of me did not. As I waited to proceed, I looked both ways, made sure no cares were coming, and hit the gas pedal. Before I could even get to the other side of the street, a Ford Escape had smashed into the passenger side where my friend was. I will never forget the look on her face as the car came smashing into her side.

It was my fault.

And that killed me inside. Most collisions that occur like this usually cause terrible injuries or even death. I thank God everyday that the lady in the Escape hadn’t been hurt, and that my friend didn’t have a scratch on her. Knowing that I was in control and that one mistake could’ve cost me not only my life but two other peoples’, really put the idea of life into perspective.

I thought about how lucky we all were. How lucky I was that God was looking out for me. Yes, my car may be totaled, but it was a blessing that no one else was. I believe in guardian angels and I truly believe that God was there that day looking over us.

It shouldn’t have to take a car accident or even two to understand how valuable your life is. Take it from me as someone who didn’t think much about my life. Understand and KNOW your worth. Life is too short to sit around and wait for things. Live your life. Get out there. Go out there and make a difference. Keep yourself grounded, and learn from your mistakes. We all make them, and it’s time to learn from them and grow. Life is a lesson worth learning. Don’t ever take advantage of that.

Don't rush. Good things take time.