Capturing the Moment Vs. Capturing the Memory

In our modern technology based world, there is a constant struggle between capturing moments on camera, and capturing memories in our hearts.

2617

Nostalgia comes in waves. On some occasions you find yourself so wrapped up in the here and now, that you forget to miss things from the past. And in other circumstances, you long for the ability to re-experience the most incredible days in your memory. Ah, sometimes I wish time machines truly existed.

But then again, maybe I don't. What if the power of a memory comes with the fact that it can never be replicated? That no matter how hard you try to put together the same exact sequence of events, you will never be able to fully reconstruct your thoughts and feelings and emotions revolving around that one moment in time. I think that's what makes memories so special. Although nostalgia is realer than real, and it may hurt to know you will never experience certain things again, it's all just part of the mysterious rhythm of life.

If you are anything like me, then you love to discuss fun events of the past. After a crazy weekend, a life changing experience, or anything in between, all you want to do is rehash the day's events and try to keep the memories as fresh as possible. You tell the stories numerous times, and scroll through the pictures as often as you find appropriate, to enhance the power of your stories. This is so natural for all of us. We get so wrapped up in the magic of moments and making sure we are documenting them through photos, videos, and Snapchats, I fear we are approaching the possibility of becoming unable to create memories without the assistance of modern technology.

Don't get me wrong, here. I am an Instagram-obsessed college student who (like most of you) scrolls through her phone's photo album on an almost-daily basis. But I cannot say I am proud of this behavior. Often times, when I am out with my friends, I struggle between reaching for my phone to add a funny moment to my Snapstory, or keeping it in my pocket and just enjoying the moment, photograph-free. Do you snap a picture to keep the memory for yourself? Do you do it to show others how much fun you are having right now!? These are the questions we must ask ourselves before we snap (Snapstories and regular photos).

As Dr. Seuss once said, "You will never know the true value of a moment, until it becomes a memory." So, yes, of course it is important to take pictures and videos and capture moments when it's appropriate, but never underestimate the importance of being in the moment without technology, and just having the memory survive along with you after the moment has gone. Photos, videos, and Snapchat stories can disappear, but what you hold dear in your heart and in your memory is what matters the most.

Next time you pull out your phone to capture a moment, think about why you are doing it. If it is to show others how great your life is, then don't do it. Leaving some mystery about yourself is much more appealing than over sharing your life! Quite frankly, if your Snapstory is more than about 40-seconds long, chances are nobody is actually watching it. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but people are most likely just clicking through to make the notification disappear.

However you find it necessary to capture a memory, I fully support your decision; to each, his or her own. Just make sure to never underestimate the power of your brain capacity, and of your own memory. If it is a truly special moment, I promise that you will remember it, whether photographed or not.