Captain Marvel and Women's History Month

Captain Marvel Deserves Praise For Its Support With Women's History Month

26

I think it is no coincidence that Captain Marvell came out this month, which is Women's History Month. The main character, known as Carol Denvers in the movie, is a strong independent bad a**. Throughout the movie, we see her life struggles, and we follow her as she discovers her true identity.

For the ladies in the audience, we get to feel empowered by the movie because this is one of the few times that a female lead is the main superhero in a story. Most of the time we see male superheroes (Captain America, Superman, Spiderman, Batman, etc.) or male and women superheroes working together like in the movie "Avengers". However, we rarely ever see a woman taking the charge in a superhero movie, by herself. She proved to the rest of us that she doesn't need a man because she is an independent woman.

Denvers is faced with people telling her that she can't do something because she is "too weak." She is also told that she is "too emotional" and needs to keep a level head. I think that this could be related to real life as well. Many times women are treated as if their emotions are unnatural or crazy, when really women should be able to express how they feel without fear of ridicule.

I also thought it was interesting that the directors did not make the actress have a love interest during the movie. Most of the time, in order to appease more viewers, directors tend to make a female lead have a love interest. While I think it would be interesting if Carol Denvers would have had a love interest, I think it would have taken away from the storyline. The main character, Carol Denvers, was trying to find her true identity throughout the movie, and I think that if she had a love interest, it would be distracting and irrelevant to the main story. I think it showed again that women can be successful and happy on their own, and do not need to be in a relationship to find their identity.

So many times in movies, women are portrayed as meek and weak and incapable of living on their own, and men are the strong ones that come and "save the day!" But movies like "Captain Marvell" show us that women are able to take care of themselves, thank you very much.