Should Capital Punishment Be Prohibited All Throughout the US?

13

There are a large number of conclusions about capital punishment. The death penalty is a topic that has made the news lines across America. I had the pleasure of speaking with a correction officer. This officer shared his own personal view on the topic. Due to weight of the situation, the officer wanted to remain anonymous. His uncle committed a crime that ended up getting him capital punishment. The correction officer’s uncle did a crime that involved him being at the wrong place at the wrong time. The correction officer said something to me that stood out, he said “The law did not even give him a chance to make things right and they just killed him.” I was stunned by what he said. All I could do was give him a hug, as the tears rolled down his face.

In what manner would we be able to, as people, legitimize who lives and who bites the dust? According to this article, “Know the Facts About Capital Punishment," the death penalty does not work. There is an abundance of mounting proof that demonstrates this reality. Capital punishment in the U.S. and around the globe, is oppressive and is utilized excessively against poor people, minorities and individuals from racial, ethnic and religious groups. While reading this article it made me think of the correction officer and whether or not his uncle was executed based on the color of his skin or was it because of his wrongful doing or both? The death penalty in my opinion should be prohibited throughout the united states.

Year after year, prisons are getting more and more inmates and are becoming more and more overcrowded. The death penalty would be a great alternative to regulating the influx of inmates in our prisons, right? I just look at this as another way to kill off a small part of our population and that is not fair. The death penalty is getting out of hand. John Grisham is an American bestselling writer, attorney, politician, and activist best known for his popular legal thrillers’ once stated, I’m not in favor of the death penalty. But I'm in favor of locking these people away in maximum security units where they can never get out.” (www.brainyquote) I concur with him. I believe they need to be held accountable to their crimes by getting longer sentencing, not by nonchalantly taking their lives away. There’s a large number of individuals who are getting capital punishment and they didn’t even carry out the crime. Despite the fact that capital punishment is legal, in all actuality, it is still murder. A very famous Man once said, “He who is without sin can cast the first stone."

In this day in age we spend a lot of time of focusing on the bad, and in the end we up forgetting our humanity. This topic is a very touching topic because we are talking about someone’s life; someone who could be a father or a mother. No one deserves to have their life taken by another person. Despite the crime that the person may have committed, time in jail should be the only option because if the crime was severe enough they could get life in prison as opposed to the death penalty. What does that make us if we killed someone who killed someone else? We as a country must look at the bigger picture. Two wrongs do not make a right.