Why I Can't Wait To Study Abroad

Why I Can't Wait To Study Abroad

As good ole Albus Dumbledore once said, “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live”. But what if your dream is to study abroad?

13
Why I Can't Wait To Study Abroad
Emily Kretzschmar

When I was in ninth grade, I had the amazing opportunity to become an exchange student in the Netherlands for two weeks, along with 7 other of my classmates who happened to be my close friends. Stepping out of the airport in Amsterdam was such an extreme culture shock and I have been dreaming of feeling that again. I felt as if I was a pretty rounded individual at the time because I had been to many states and each one was different as opposed to my normal. I was not prepared for the differences in the Netherlands though. Everything was sooooo flat and there were sheep and wind turbines everywhere. When we went to Amsterdam for the day, I was amazed that the city was centered around the canal and that we actually used the canal to get to different places in the city as opposed to using cars. It was amazing to see and live in a different way of life.

Studying abroad is an extremely beneficial opportunity for many reasons, especially for college students:

1. You get an inside look at another education system AND you get college credits!

Get credit for classes while exploring your new "home"? Uh hell yes please! I would have absolutely loved to have taken my World Art History course in Italy so I could have seen the Sistine Chapel, the Trevvi Fountain, like all of the original statues of David and a wholeeeee lot of other amazing artifacts of the past in person. Plus, you will get exposed to a different style of education. You have a chance to see how your major(s) is perceived in other parts of the world, and you could possibly learn something new about it. The immersion in a foreign country’s education system

2. You are exposed to a new culture and gain international travel experience because of it.

America may be a melting pot of culture, but you are never truly exposed to a different culture until you live in that country and experience on a day to day basis. You get to experience a culture completely different from your own. You will be immersed in food, music, social atmospheres and traditions new to you and each will change you. You will come away with a better understanding and appreciation for that nation, its people and its history.

3. Even when studying abroad, you can still travel to other places!

A lot of my friends have studied abroad, whether for a semester or part of the summer for an internship; and every single one of them has basically explored all of Europe. I've heard that train and/or plane fare was relatively cheaper to them so they had plenty of opportunities to go another country for the weekend. That's right- not another city but a whole other country. So in addition to having a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of studying abroad, they also got to travel and practically cross off their entire bucket list. If that isn't the best win-win scenario than I don't know what it is.

4. You make connections and lifelong friendships.

When you study abroad, you will travel with other students from your school. You’ll have to fly together which means surviving the airport together, as well as any possible orientations and classes together. You’ll most likely quickly become best friends from spending all the time together. If you end up living with a host family, you essentially get another family. I may not stay in frequent contact with my host families and all the friends I met, but we catch up with each other a few times a year. I know that if I ever have the chance to go back, I will make time to see them.

^Me with my host sister Ellis, Alyssa -my roommate and previous friend from home along with one of our new friends, Joram

5. You can discover yourself, whether you are or who you want to be.

College is a time when you are supposed to find yourself, so why not embrace the discovery while exploring a new country (or two)? There is nothing like being in a foreign country on *your own* and this could possibly show you a new independent and adventurous side of yourself. I know that being an exchange student really encouraged me to discover the curiosity and excitement I harbored for other cultures, countries, and traveling.

I encourage you all to pursue your dreams, especially if it is to study abroad. I cannot wait until my opportunity to do so comes around and I am saving my pennies until that time comes.