Traveling Is Good For The Moment, But Working Is Good For Your Life

If you are feeling left out or sad about everyone traveling this summer, read this.

89

Lately, I have been feeling a little discouraged. From what I see and hear, everyone is out there living those lavish lives, having carefree trips, and amazing experiences. Some people live as though they haven't worked a day in their life. It seems that every time I go on social media someone is somewhere on the other side of the world in some fancy place doing this and that. Yeah, I am jealous. I would love to be touring around Europe than going in for another day at work.

BUT…I think to myself, you are so much better off than them. You wouldn't believe still, as being a young adult, how much some parents spoil their kids. A girl I went to high school with recently complained on social media that it was a 'hard two weeks at work this summer…when she only worked two weeks out of the whole three-month summer (her parents also spoil her rotten). Honey, I work basically full-time in the summer, do you see me complaining?

Though it may suck on missing out on some things, think of the experience and things you learn while just working. No matter what the job is, you gain people skills. Slowly learning a skill that is crucial to finding a career and maintaining one as well. You also learn what is like to have a boss. (It's a lot different to have someone else who isn't related to you to boss you around, you have to work hard, and put those skills of hard work mom and dad taught you to the test.)

Also, having an income is pretty nice.

The people who barely work are the ones who are in for (this will sound harsh) but a rude awakening. The older you get, the more is expected of you, and if you don't start working on yourself and making yourself a valuable asset at a young age, it will be a lot harder for you to climb up the career ladder than those who started earlier.

It also (I think) makes you appreciate everything that you have. For example, my dad bought himself a truck a few years ago. Where did the money come from? Obviously not trees. He had to bust his ass to be able to do such a thing. How did he gain the work ethic? From working his whole life and making himself valuable at a young age in order to find work. He wasn't just having his summers go to waste, going months without making money to go travel.

Don't get me wrong, traveling is really amazing, and I hope everyone gets a chance to see as much of the world as you can, but I just hope as well that you remember that you have a responsibility of taking care of yourself, and you have to be willing to make sacrifices in order to establish the rest of your life.