I Don't Know How To Take Naps, And I'm Jealous Of People Who Do

I'm Jealous Of All You 'Nap Queens' Out There, I'm More Of A 'Sleep Peasant'

I support all you "Nap Queens," please teach me your ways.

583

I envy all of my friends who can come home from class, nap for an hour or two then wake up fully energized and ready to tackle the rest of their day. Being able to successfully nap in college is a skill I have yet to master. It's not that I don't have time to nap, I do, I just can't nap efficiently.

If I have 3 hours to kill and I decide to nap I end up spending two and a half of those hours trying to fall asleep. When my alarm goes off I'm super groggy and annoyed that I wasted so much time trying to sleep, while not actually sleeping, when I could've been doing something productive. The rest of the day I'm in this weird fog where I'm tired and super out of it, but when it comes time for me to actually go to bed I have way more trouble falling asleep than normal.

Another problem I run into when napping is that I can only fall asleep if its pitch dark, and silent. Not the ideal sleeping arrangments for an apartment complex filled with wild college students, with the bright Florida sun shining in through the cracks of the blinds.

I also don't like to take breaks and relax until everything I need to do has been done. If I stop to rest my mind will be flooded with all the things I should be doing, instead of doing absolutely nothing.

Not a bad mindset for a busy college student, but it becomes quite a catch 22 when I have trouble thinking when I'm even remotely tired.

Through the continuous trial and error that was freshmen year, along with many other things, I've learned that I need my 8 hours of beauty sleep to function, and I can't get that by napping.