I Can't Keep Calm, My Big Sister Is Graduating!

What is the happiest day of your life is also mine

81
Carolyn Deeb Photography

I remember when you went off to college. The sisterly stage of constantly fighting was taking its sweet time to pass and although I was going to miss you, I hoped that the “you’ll get closer once she goes off to college” reassurance everyone gave me would rein true. Your early college days overlapped our fighting stage, but I knew things were getting better when you finally unblocked me on Facebook after all those years… You can only imagine how much time I spent scrolling through all I had missed! And when the semester ended and you finally came home, the hug you gave me was the first one from you I can remember getting (*pausing here to imagine your eyes rolling at my sappiness*). I looked to catch Mom’s reaction afterwards as she flashed me her typical “thumbs up” expression of pleasant surprise (you know the one) and I flashed her one back. This was the start of something new. (*cue the music*)

I remember when I decided I wanted to go to the same college. I don’t know if you were excited, annoyed, debating transferring, or what, but you sure hid it well. Mom reminded me that you were working on an engineering degree, which was a five-year program, and I was so excited to have a year and a half to spend with you here. The sisterly brunches, ice cream, and shopping trips began (mainly you driving me there, I’ll admit), and we were finally acting like real sisters. We had finally made it to a place I never thought we’d get. Not only were we sisters, but it seemed like we were friends, too.

I remember when I called you crying about a boy and you talked me through it. You told me to curl up in bed, turn my twinkle lights on, and watch a funny movie (you specifically said “funny” knowing I’d gravitate to a tearjerker during my time of self-pity). But then you showed up at my door with ice cream within 20 minutes and I broke down even more when I saw you. You’ve never been one to voice your feelings but you always find some way to display them. I knew you cared and I loved you for that. Boys may suck but at least I had my sister to help me through it, something I never thought would happen and I wouldn’t want to change, despite the circumstances.

Looking back, I can’t even remember us fighting. What I do remember, though, is wanting to know everything about you: why you wore the things you did, why you liked the things you did, etc. We grew up together so naturally, you were the first person I ever compared myself to, and I liked you better… So your favorite animal became mine, your closet became mine (only when you weren’t looking…), and I tried to get into your favorite shows but let’s face it, you know you’d mute/turn off the TV until I went away, so that wasn’t happening (we laugh about it now).

Now you’re graduating college after five long years of mechanical engineering and I am so proud of you! Chemistry, Calculus, Dynamics (whatever the heck that is), etc. didn’t discourage you from sticking with your major the way it did for so many others (that kind of makes you a badass). What is the happiest day of your life is also mine, because the world is yours from this point on and I can’t wait to see where your engineering degree, your love for Bruster’s Graham Central Station, and your free spirit take you.