"I still cannot believe we still have to protest this stuff!"

Have things gotten worse or better since the Civil Rights Era?

14
"I still cannot believe we still have to protest this  stuff!"
Credit to Author

This past weekend, July 16th, I participated in my first ever march. Triston Harris, a Richmond native,organized the 1000 Man March to bring the community together and bring awareness to various matters. Although my manager wanted me to stay at work an extra hour, I could not. I had been waiting for this event all week! It was beautiful to see such a large, and diverse crowd come together to bring awareness. As we began marching on down the street and on to the Robert E. Lee bridge, drivers on the adjacent side began beeping, cheering, and raising their fists in agreement with our purpose. We marched and chanted for 3 miles until we reached the Blackwell Community Center where speakers awoken the minds of those in attendance.

One of the speakers was a preacher who left service after hearing us chanting down the street. He joined our march stating that we "preached louder than he ever could". Another speaker was a poet who had been shot by police after shooting at someone. The person who introduced him reminded us that we cannot do bad and not expect repercussions. After listening to his poetic rhymes and flows, more speakers stepped to the stage, until it was time to retire the event.

Reflecting on this weekend, it was a day well spent. The weather was just as beautiful as the people and the purpose. There was a mix of cultures and backgrounds all standing together to stand up for what's right. Many signs featured themes about black lives matter, those who we lost due to police brutality, LGBTQ, and unity. Police enforcement was also in abundance to make sure the march went smoothly, to take pictures, and to speak to people in hopes of building a better connection.

I work with an older crowd of people (I am the youngest employee in my department), and I was mentioning to someone about a post I read on instagram. It said something along the lines of 'if you ever wondered what the 60's were like, we are living them'. My co-worker, who is in their 60s, believed that today, things are worse. I would have to beg to differ. Though times are different, would we be as fearful as those before us to march, fight, and die for our beliefs? Would we be able to be unmoved as those in the sit-ins when people taunted, touched, and cursed at them? Those who stood, sat, and marched during the civil rights era laid the foundation for us, should we have to fight for equality. They taught us that love conquers all hate, and effective means of change that do not require balling our fists or reaching for weapons.

"90s babies" as we are often referred to, we are no longer 'babies' we are the next generation of leaders and ground breakers. Our ancestors did not fight and die for us to be stuck in a system not meant to benefit us. If we see a problem, we must do our best to seek the most beneficial solution.

But how do we grow from these heart shattering and nation dividing events? Again these are just solutions from a 19 year old, if there are more positive and effective solutions, go for them.

1. Education - In the words of School House Rock ; knowledge is power. Our students must get the most out of their education and not just earn a grade to get by. With an education, students are able to elevate to unimaginable level, and thus being able to give back to their communities for the greater good. Through an education, those who think they can "get over" on people will not because the loop holes would be eliminated.

2. Community - How many of us know our neighbors? The ones two house over? How about having a good understanding about who our local authorities are? To tell you the truth, I cannot answer these questions...am I the only one? If I am not, then things have to change. A police officer by the name of Tommy Norman out of Little Rock, AR has gone viral for his community policing. He is familiar with the citizens he protects, thus creating a positive atmosphere for his community. Hopefully the Tommy Normans will become more prevalent thus decreasing the divide forming in our nation.

3. Coming to grips with reality - We must face the fact that our fallen brothers and sisters are not coming back. I hate to say it but that facts. In their honor we must try our best to seek justice. Riots and revenge do nothing but cause more chaos. Just as all African american are not bad, neither are cops; confronting rather than conversing with one or the other is not solving anything Though I do not know them personally, as a human, I believe they would want us to seek a positive solution in their honor. We must uplift, support, and look out for each other as a human race, let alone an African american.