Can You SEAL The Deal?

Can You SEAL The Deal?

It's more than just a challenge.

14
Can You SEAL The Deal?
Crossfit Rowlett

Mid April 2015: I was pacing back and forth, praying. Praying to God for a sign. To make me ‘Do Something.’ Matthew West’s song, "Do Something" gets repeated in my head. I wanted to make a difference, no matter how little or how big it was. Five minutes later, I have an email from a trusted company. Forged! I always loved getting emails from them because they partner with the Chris Kyle Frog Foundation. I didn’t know they did anything else; though I didn’t think the generosity ended there. The invitation was a picture, much like this one:

I’d never heard of the Murph Challenge. I don’t do Crossfit (although this challenge falls more under the calisthenics venue of a workout style) and I’d only been interested in doing HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) workouts. The letter also threw down the gauntlet. Something along the lines of “Are you up for the challenge?” Sure, I said. Why not? It was a workout challenge, but when I research who he was, who Michael Murphy is, I couldn’t wait!

Surely you remember the movie "Lone Survivor." Michael Murphy led the four-man SEAL team on the mission. Mark Wahlberg portrays Marcus Luttrell in the film, for those who have not yet seen it. As the title suggests, there are other deaths and Marcus was the only one to survive. To know more, click here. It's important to know the history. Seeing the movie is a great start.

Very accurately it depicts what happened up in the mountains of Afghanistan. I know this because I've listened to the book. You obviously will get more backstory as to who these other men were and what they did up there. In short, Lt. Michael P. Murphy was in charge of the four-man SEAL team. They were scouting a known terrorist, leader of the Taliban in Afghanistan, on reconnaissance. They were to scout and took note of his actions and movements.

As the team relaxed after a grueling hike up the 10,000-foot mountain, suddenly three goat herders from the village bellow stumbled upon them. Marcus Luttrell, Danny Deitz, Matthew Axelson and Michael Murphy did what they had to do, the only thing they could do: apprehend them. They debated for a while on what to do based on various situations, personal beliefs, and fears. In the end, Murph, the leader, said to set them free.

The mission was compromised, they were alone, they couldn't get Comms (Communication) up with Bagram so the QRF (Quick Response Force) couldn't send a rescue. There was no good way this could end, but it ended in a firefight with the Taliban. Michael Murphy lost his life calling in their location. Communications would work only on Murphy's Ridge. That call saved Marcus, he'd say, and seeing the facts as they were presented, I'd concur with Marcus.

In 2007, two years after the failed Operation Red Wings, his family set up a scholarship foundation. They provide multiple scholarships across the world and thrive. Every year, however, Forged sponsors the foundation and makes sure it gets fully funded. Over the last two years, Forged® has raised nearly $400,000 for the LT. Michael P. Murphy Memorial Scholarship Foundation through The Murph Challenge campaign. With such overwhelming support and success, the Foundation was able to add three additional scholarships in 2015, now providing the opportunity to award 21 or more scholarships each year.

This unique Memorial Day tradition will take place again throughout the United States on May 30, 2016. We invite you to join countless others Americans, and register for The Murph Challenge 2016 today by clicking the button below!

The challenge consists of exercises with a 20lb vest. Granted, I’m only using a 7lb camel back, it’s what I used last year.

1 mile run

100 pull-ups

200 push-ups

300 squats

1 mile run

I have an awesome training partner for this, as I did last year. Words can’t express how excited I am to do this challenge. Spread the word because it’s not for me. It’s for Murph and the 18 other men who lost their lives on June 28, 2005.