Can You Put Your Phone Down?

Can You Put Your Phone Down?

As technology-based society, we have all experienced a screen addiction at some point in our lives.

11
Can You Put Your Phone Down?
By: Maggie Vanoni

As an owner of a smartphone, I admit to having a screen addiction. I admit to repeatedly put my screen use above being in the moment, above socializing, and worst of all, above appreciating the world around me.

My phone is always begging for my attention. Whether it’s at the bus stop, in an elevator, in class, or even at the gym.

And no, I’m not on my phone because of a massive amount of texts or emails or calls. No, I’m simply on my phone because often when I have nothing better to do, reaching for my phone is my first instinct. When I get bored, even for a split second, my focus is immediately drawn to that rectangular screen in my pocket. The blank screen that is just dying for me to use it and scroll through pages of social media platforms. This is the same screen that craves my attention and will even light up with reminders of what I’m missing in my digital world.

When I do succumb to turning the screen on and looking down at that blue-tinted glow, I find myself doing things of such little importance that not only does it not cure my sense of boredom at that moment, it forces me to miss the reality that’s right in front of me. When I choose to pick up my phone I miss out on the simplicity of being engaged in the real world. I miss the chance to talk to that cute boy sitting across from me on the bus, I miss the opportunity to talk to a professor that I look up to, and I even miss the most important notes during a lecture.

Now, I know that I am not the only one who falls victim to this severe addiction. As I write this, I look around and I can count the number of people who are not using a screen on one hand. This significantly low number is evident no matter what social environment you are in. If you take a second to look up from your phone from reading this article and look around you, you’ll notice the same thing where you are.

The phone screen is the most addictive thing in the world. It is constantly demanding our attention. It’s our go-to when we don’t want to socialize, when we’re uncomfortable, and most commonly when we’re bored with the real world in front of us. We, as smartphone users, have become glued to these devices. So much so, that according to the Time Mobility Poll, by TIME Magazine, “Three-quarters of 25-to-29-year-olds sleep with their phones”.

Now some of you may be asking, so what? So what if I’m constantly on my phone? If everyone else is doing it, why shouldn’t I? What am I supposed to do if I’m not on my phone? Is this new addiction becoming a part of reality itself?

Well, first thing’s first: by constantly drifting back to your mobile device, you miss out on the real world around you. The real world is simply an inch above this screen. It’s all around you and it's vast and beautiful. If you put your phone down for a second, and take it all in and become aware of your senses, you’ll notice that life is really quite amazing.

Things change in a heartbeat, and you’ll regret it if you miss the exciting things because you were looking down at your phone. For example, I can’t even begin to count a number of times that I’ve been at a basketball game and missed a great basket or a controversial foul, all because I was glued to my phone trying to post the perfect picture on Instagram.

Secondly, when you put your phone away and look up instead of down, you give yourself the chance to meet new people. When you choose to socialize instead of being anti-social, you’ll be surprised at the different people you’ll meet. I would even go as far to say that a person who is not on their phone appears far more approachable than someone who is glued to their screen.

In fact, I challenge you to force yourself to put away your phone the next time you’re in an elevator or at a bus stop. Look around you and simply be aware of your surroundings. Notice the calming music in the elevator or the clear sky above the bus stop. Go out of your way and talk to someone close by. Ask them how their day is going, just make small talk. The interaction will put you in a much better mood, than if you were to just be on your phone.

Now I am not saying to completely boycott your phone and never use it ever again. There are times where the screen can be beneficial to your everyday life. From communicating with others, as a source for fast news and even as a tool of education, the phone has many helpful features. It’s important that we don’t de-credit the capability of the smartphone, for as its functions do accredit its “smart” ability.

But I encourage you to be more conscious of your screen usage. I challenge you to not reach for your phone in situations where you’re bored or uncomfortable. Even taking a detox day from screen use can be beneficial to you and your health. For starters, after you have finished reading this article, and shared it with friends, put down your phone and take a walk outside. It doesn’t have to be a long walk. It could be as short as simply going to get the mail. Notice the real world, really pay attention to your surroundings. Take into account your five senses, take a mental picture, take a deep breath and relax.

Find comfort in not having your phone on you. Take comfort in knowing that you can go five minutes without subsiding to the constant distraction that is the screen of your smartphone.

Go and be free of the addiction. Go and set examples for others. Go and explore the sense of humanity that lays beneath the appreciation of the beauty of the world around you.