Can Two People From The Opposite Sex Be Friends?

Being friends isn't the problem, society is

100
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/71/76/c4/7176c472211dc1faa6546d36bd9bda7f.jpg

Most of the time when we see a movie about a male and female being friends they tend to end up together. Which has lead our society to believe that a male and female can't simply be friends. I personally don't think that's the case. We can see it in little kids when they play together at school, co- workers with partners and classmates. Society is very quick to spread assumptions when in reality we are all humans and can be friends with everyone around us, doesn't matter what gender they are.

If we were to ask a group of people what they think about a Men and Women being just friends. Most of them will probably say that it's impossible. And I can see why they might say that, sometimes there is one of the two individuals that falls in love or just feels attraction towards the other person. But I personally do believe that it is possible for two individuals of the opposite sex to be best friends. And sometimes having a guy best friend is the best thing ever.

It's very easy to make connections and friendships in school, and sometimes we connect more with a specific person. And not only in school but at work or even in the family. I personally can say that my cousin was my best friend. Unfortunately he passed away. But the memories of walking around the City at night, grabbing a cup of coffee and just catching up on life are still alive or when we used to go to concerts, when he had to deal with my depressing stories, or just giving each other advice. Most of the time when we have a guy best friend there is no drama all the time, and we get elite information on the so famous "guy code".

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b9/89/5d/b9895dfa06fea33ae4fcf96d50cca791.jpg

Of course there will always be someone in the front row screaming that the two of you are together. But that doesn't stop the fact that you actually have someone there for you to support you when you get heart broken, someone who is willing to make you smile and say things like "I will punch him in the throat". Not saying that should happen. Having a person of the opposite sex as your best friend is about learning how to deal with everyone's assumptions, learning how to be more open minded and help each other when needed. Sometimes secrets are well kept with the opposite sex. It helps to have someone who will make us smile when we think we never will again.

I also believe that a male likes to have a female as their best friend because they aren't afraid to express their feelings and show their real selves instead of portraying the "strong guy" society wants to see. And just like females get a taste of the "guy code" males also get a taste of the "girl code".

We need to keep in mind that society has mold us to see things in the same perspective as the rest of the world. Having a best friend from the other gender in not bad at all. Some people see this as a form of segregation where guys and girls can't be friends unless they become a couple or get married. I also mentioned in the beginning that it doesn't necessarily have to be a co-worker or a classmate. For some individuals their parents are their best friends, their uncles and aunts, cousins and even siblings. Having a best friend doesn't mean that you have to marry that person. Although, I must say that it isn't a bad idea having to share your life with your best friend. But sometimes those best friends have a partner, and you become the aunt/ uncle of their kids.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dc/d7/e4/dcd7e4a0ce38a1429670e1e87c333483.jpg

The way I see it, having a best friend of the opposite sex can teach you many things. Help you see the world in another perspective and do things you've never done before. It's like a little secret club of two where one of you is in a date and the other person is watching you in a distance to make sure that everything is going well. I also find it funny that it helps to see if your best friend's crush is the right person. Because when we like someone, we tend to go blind and ignore all the red flags. Having a male best friend helps us by not feeling guilty, ashamed, tells us if an outfit actually looks nice, and gives us their opinion on the guy we like. And having a female best friend can help a guy be more open and expressive, not feel scare or ashamed for crying. Sometimes even help by giving tips on what might help him on his next date.