Calm Down, It's Not Fall Yet

Calm Down, It's Not Fall Yet

Put those pumpkin spice lattes and sweaters away.

267
Calm Down, It's Not Fall Yet
shutterfly

Okay everyone, let’s just get one thing straight, it’s not fall yet. The leaves are still on the trees, it’s still a million degrees outside, and watermelon still tastes delicious. I don’t know what it is about American culture that makes us feel like we have to rush into everything. What ever happened to savoring the moment? Don’t get me wrong, I love fall as much as the next person. There’s nothing better than cozying up in sweater drinking hot apple cider on a chilly October morning. But it’s still the beginning of September -- school just started, I barely know my class schedule, I should not be seeing advertisements for pumpkin spice lattes. I’m sorry Starbucks, but it’s just too soon. I’m still too busy enjoying my coffee filled to the brim with ice to be bothered with anything else and an iced pumpkin spiced latte just seems wrong.

And don’t even get me started on Halloween candy. I saw Halloween candy on sale when it was still August. August! Halloween is still two months away. If you think you can buy candy now and have it still be there on October 31 then you’re lying to yourself. You just know it will sit there in your cabinet taunting you until you finally break, and once it’s open there’s no going back. That’s what these candy companies want. They know what they are doing. They want you to keep buying and eating Halloween candy up until the very end. Every new flavor and color of M&Ms, every “ghost” shaped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup that really looks like a child just took it and smushed it up with his hands -- they want you to buy it all and eat it. And these companies have no doubt in their mind that you will because we’ve been sucked into fall mania.

And one of the worst parts of this “pretending it’s fall when it’s really still summer” is that I can’t go shopping. All the stores are selling sweaters, coats, and boots, while I’m still looking for sundresses, sandals, and shorts. If I can still get away with going out in flip flops then I will definitely not be purchasing a wool sweater and a corduroy skirt. I’m one of those crazy people who dresses for the weather outside and not for the season society is telling me it is.

So I’m taking a stand. I refused to be sucked into this fall madness. I will wear sundresses and sandals, drink iced coffee, and eat as much non-Halloween themed candy as I want. Because I am living life in the moment