We Are Called To Be The Light

We Are Called To Be The Light

I will bring injustices out of the darkness.

52
We Are Called To Be The Light
Spencer Plat/ Getty Images

It's not enough to just like the idea of 'activism'- we have a responsibility to shine light on the darkness and injustice many people face, and expose it to the bright news that better things are not only possible but also are attainable if we choose to exercise our human rights to use our voices and power for good.

Donald Trump has issued many executive orders, proclamations, and memorandums that have outraged, upset, and affected many people, especially minority groups and their rights. People are using this anger as fuel to exercise their political right to protest. People are using this anger to protect what they believe is important. People are using this anger to shine light on injustices and purposeful discrimination.

Jesus called his followers to be the light of the world when he preached his Sermon on the Mount. Now more than ever, both Christians and non-Christians alike are called to be the light of the world. We are called to be the light of the world for ourselves and for others. We have the obligation to bring injustice out of the shadows and expose its ugliness to the light- to expose it for what it is. If we are to really change the world- or at least parts of it- we must have a solid foundation of trust and faith. It can be plain terrifying exposing things to the light- especially when you feel like darkness is all around. In all honesty, it is- the darkness is sometimes numbing, sometimes blinding. But, the light will outshine the darkness, and we are promised that we will never go alone, that God is always with us.

So, how does one measly person make a difference? Will the government even listen to our complaints? Maybe not- to just one person. But when we join forces, when we join together in a chorus of voices exposing dark objects, situations, and regulations to the light, we can truly make a difference. If the light shines in you, it will venture out and chase away the darkness. If the light shines in you, it will venture out and kindle the light in others. If the light shines in you, you can use it for the good of all to combat personal and communal problems, disparities, and injustices. And isn't that what the Gospel is truly about- love?