Bystander's View of the Elections

Bystander's View of the Elections

What happens when the social media world takes over politics.

6
Bystander's View of the Elections

Recently, I was doing homework when someone came up to me and asked if I had registered to vote. I said no. They shoved a clipboard in my hands and, within three minutes, I was registered to vote. I guess now in t-minus two months, I’ll be voting.

Which is a weird thought for me, because I don’t follow politics and had no intention of registering in the first place. I grew up in a household where politics were never really discussed with the children and, to this day, I don’t think I’ve ever asked my parents what their political parties were. To be frank, I don’t really know much about foreign policies and taxes and all the important adult stuff that I ought to know about. Friends have tried to update me on the important stuff, but part of me just wants to be completely ignorant in attempt to avoid the inevitable conflict of it all.

In this day and age, however, social media and technology makes it nearly impossible to remain completely in the dark about politics or political occurrences. Most of my Facebook friends are constantly reposting pictures, articles, and videos bashing or praising different candidates. I don’t watch TV or read the news, so this is my only consistent exposure to politics.

So here is almost all that I think I know about the candidates for the 2016 presidential election:

DONALD TRUMP - Republican: A spray tanned business man with horrible hair and plans to build a wall to keep all the rapist Mexicans out. Against political correctness, against immigrants (although his wife is one), against treating women like people, against speaking the truth, against giving out his tax returns, against Muslims, basically anti-everything. Declared bankruptcy so many times and cheated on his wives so many times. The white man’s vote. Member of the KKK and has tried to shut down the internet. Spent his campaign money on everything but the campaign and screwed many people over. #makeamericagreatagain

HILARY CLINTON - Democratic: An old woman trying to be hip with the kids all while getting in trouble for doing a horrible job at her other political jobs. Should be on trial right now for having leaked files, but is getting away with it, because she’s a Hilary Clinton. Some say she’s only getting votes because she’s a woman, some say she’s only getting votes because people hate Trump. Trying too hard. The only one actually qualified to actually win this election. The one that will end up winning the election. Faked being sick so she could visit her grandchildren. Shouldn’t have been the Democratic nominee #feelthebern

GARY JOHNSON - Libertarian: The libertarian guy that apparently is just a Republican running on a different ballot. He’s apparently done many cool things with his life. He climbed a mountain once and got his state out of debt? Third party for the win. #feelthejohnson

***

Since I’m not well informed about politics, why should you even bother reading all that?

I find that it is important to recognize that there are many people like me who only get their political information from social media and will go into the voting booth with that amount of knowledge. Most of the information absorbed through social media doesn’t give a good view on the candidate’s views and plans for our country. We don’t know the consequences (positive or negative) of our votes. Many people, including myself, take for granted the right to vote and the right to be well informed about the potential future of our country. It should be our responsibility to learn about politics, but I’m asking that if you’re the least bit informed to start an actual smart, well-thought out discussion with others about the elections so we all don’t screw up our country come November.