I'm Saying Bye, Felicia, To Freshman Year And Starting To Flirt With Sophomore Year

Chapters can't last forever, so here's a quick run-through of the first chapter of my new beginning!

365
Personal Photo

FLASH, as I sat in my room thinking about freshman year, I came to the realization that it was really over. This left me with a feeling of sadness because one of the best years of my life had been completed. So, I guess it is true when they say that time flies, and this is why you must strive to create worthwhile memories. The end is always near.

I have changed a lot over this year, and I couldn’t be better for it. I’m more aware of myself, and I love that I”m getting better with God. Going off to college is meant for you to find yourself and explore who that exactly is. While I have year one down in discovering this, I ’m looking forward to seeing what I flourish into.

I was looking through my pictures and Snapchat memories throughout the year, and all I could do was smile at the precious things and laugh at how silly my friends and I are. The memories that I captured can’t be replaced. It’s also about the memories that happened, but you weren’t able to capture them. Those are the ones that get brought up and you all sit there wheezing trying to get it out.

I absolutely believe that you will meet lifelong friends in college. I’m lucky enough to have two sets of friends. I have my Southerners friends and my everyday friend group. We have been in some crazy and hilarious situations.

One of my favorite memories is finals week during the first semester. Leave it to Wes and me to start a dance party on the 10th floor of the library and actually get other people to join in. Another one of my favorite memories is going on an adventure to find my first drive-in movie with three of my closest friends to see “It.”

Three people deserve special recognition because they impacted my year the most. Chrystah, because I was fortunate enough to be able to bring my best friend with me to college, and I wouldn’t have wanted to start freshman year without her.

Courtney for starting out as my roommate and ending up as the person I can cry to at 2 a.m. when I need to, go on several WalMart trips, and meet interesting characters at the TMB with (you know exactly who I’m referring to.) I can honestly call you one of my best friends now and can’t wait to live with you for three more years. June 1st here we come, baby!

Lastly, Micaiah, the girl I’m lucky enough to get as a Big. The night I found out I was your little, I cried...literally! I loved being able to just stop by your room and eat Fruity Pebbles with while we watch “Shrek.” You will do anything and almost everything for me and I am eternally grateful!

“The moment you’ve all been waiting for...The Marching Southerners!”, the highlight of my first semester. The Southerners is an experience like no other. From the people to the music, and the memories...you have no choice but to be in awe.

The first time my ears had the pleasure of hearing Stars and Salvation, I knew that I was home and that this group of people were something special. I could continue on this subject, but I will save that for another article.

So, to the soon to be freshman, treasure and make the most of this time. You only get one freshman year of college and you have to decide how it turns out. Even though it was cut short, I can look back on my freshman year and be full of joy.

You’re going to make mistakes and feel totally lost at times, but when you bounce back, those worries and mistakes will seem small. This is me ending another chapter of my life, while you are about to begin yours. Good luck to you all and as Ivey would say, “Peace and Blessings!”