Bye Bye, Kenna Hall

Bye Bye, Kenna Hall

Thank you for being the best dorm!

148
Bye Bye, Kenna Hall
Kenna Hall

Living in the dorms is a common occurrence. It often just comes along with transitioning to college life. You move from home buy textbooks and live in a dorm. You eat at the commons, you study in the campus library you live in the dorm. You work out at the recreation center, you drink coffee in you morning class, and you live in a dorm. Dorm life like anything takes a little to get used to, but once it becomes a normal routine, that type of lifestyle becomes your home.

Upon going to the University of Portland, I had never lived in a dorm, never lived under the same roof as 200 other girls, and never had to share a room. Moving in the dorms when one is 18 it is both exciting and daunting. It is the first time living away from parents for most, and the first time of having “freedom”; being able to take mostly full responsibility of the reins of your life. I remember the first time that I stepped into the dorms. It was August, it was hot, and everything was new.

The first semester in at a new university, living in a new dorm often yields inner change that one doesn’t expect. No matter who you are the transition on the outside might seem fine, but on the inside, it hits harder than you anticipated, than expected. Dorm life is not like anything that you have ever been a part of. Church camps, and rooming in hotels on overnight events come close, but living in a dorm shapes you; either for better or for worse.

I remember my first semester in the dorms like it was yesterday. I made some of my closest friends there, and for the first semester of my life away from home, that was my tight night community who supported me even when I wasn’t aware of their support. The community of Kenna Hall, a dorm at the University of Portland, empowered me to be equipped with friends, rather sisters who had my back even if I didn’t think that I needed it. Greeted me with a hello upon entering the building, sat in the hallway and did homework, or avoided it. Wing events allowed me to extend my dorm family circle to a few more of the residents who were proud to be a Kennadian.

Living in the dorms bring lots of opportunities. For me, I had always wanted to get involved in leadership positions, but in high school, it was hard because of all of the dancing I did. Because of that, taking on a leadership role at school wasn’t possible or probable. Coming to the University of Portland and living in Kenna Hall, has allowed me to be plugged in as a leader right where I counted sheep at night. My first year in the dorms, I was on the executive hall council and the second year I was a Kenna Faith and Formation Ambassador.

Some who live in the dorms are not as lucky. They just see it as a place to live, a place to store their belongings, but not a place that holds magic. To me, Kenna will and will always have a special place in my heart. Kenna has played a huge role in my development into the person that I am today, and I am proud to say that I am a Kennadian.

Living in a dorm starts out as a forced situation, as most universities require at least freshman year to live on campus in dormitories. Some might not be as lucky as I was to find a community that became family; one that challenged me to grow in a healthy provoking way. This is where my Kennadian Pride, Kenna-flannel-wearing-self, stemmed from. This is the place that had blossomed into part of my character that I encompass today.

A few days ago I moved out of my dorm that I had been a resident in for two years. Now when I walk to east quad I will not trot through the Kenna lobby on a Saturday morning to check my mail, I won’t go into the basement on a Sunday to see if there is an open dryer, and I will no longer jump at the creaking heater. Moving out of the dorms into a house it bitter sweet. On one hand I am so excited for another adventure, but on the other, my true Kennadian self will miss my people. I am excited to be able to cook my own vegan goodness, but I will also miss chilling in the lobby at un-reasonable hours of the night.

All in all my dorm experience was more than prime, and in this time of transition I want to thank Kenna and all of the hall staff who influenced me in positive ways. I will never forget the impact that you have had on my life, or all of the memories that were made

You might not come from the same background and may be greeting this time of transition with ecstatic, celebration. Bye bye, might have been or might be easier for you. In that case freedom of dorm life never felt so great; like kicking an old habit to the curb. As I have expressed my type of excitement is of a different flavor.

Some might say bye bye, Birdie, but I exclaim bye bye, Kenna. I will see you again and you will always be the same x configuration, bomb-shelter self and all, but I will no longer be an active resident living under and within. Thank you for all of the memories and lessons that I learn too. I hope the next wave of students come in treat you well and get a lot out of their time living within you!