5 Things You Need To Remember, From This Busy Girl's Guide To Procrastination

Sometimes you are just too busy to get things done before the last minute, but hey, it doesn't bother you.

14

I just like you am the victim to procrastination. No matter what, I always seem to be doing everything at the last minute. I feel like it's the only time I have to do anything because minutes seem to fly by and the next thing I know I have an assignment due the next day. But instead of trying to break this habit, I've learned to relish and actually allow it to help me.

1. Know how long a task will take you 

Neil Patrick Harris

If I have two tasks I need to get done, and a short amount of time to do, I decided on which one to do first by the amount of time it will take. For example, If I have two things due around the same time and I know I can do one of them in a short time frame, I save it for that short time frame. If I have to write a paper and I am finishing it up until class starts, but I have an assignment due later that day, I will do the shorter assignment later. That way I know I have enough time for the longer assignment.

2. Be a positive procrastinator 

Khloe Kardashian

There is a difference between procrastinating because you are in bed watching American Horror Story and procrastinating because you always find yourself too busy to find the time to do anything. If you suffer from the latter, because you work all weekend and have a million and one extra-circular activities to attend too, that's what I call positive procrastinating. Positive procrastination is something you can strive off of, it's really a gift so don't let it get you down. You can do it and really all you need is some last minute time management and you are good to go.

3. Give yourself false due dates on important things 

If you have a huge paper coming up and its worth 50% of your grade, write it down in your planner a week ahead of time. That way you convince yourself its due before it really is and you can have time to edit and make it perfect. This will limit the amount of "behind" you are and will allow you to get some task off your to-do list. My tricking your brain into the new date, you'll actually be ahead and allow for more time on other procrastinated assignments. You might still procrastinate up to the fake due date but hey at least you got time.

4. Some people perform better under pressure 

The Devil Wears Prada

This is really the story of my life, no matter how hard I try I always end up working on assignments till the last minute. I am frequent flier of the "Printing five minutes before class" plane. A lot of people don't understand why though, It's simple, it's really an adrenaline rush wondering if you are going to make a deadline. It's 11:58 pm and your quiz is due at midnight and you have one question left, boy does that just get you going. I get it. Some people really strive when they wait till the last minute, congratulations that's a life skill that you could probably throw on your resume.

5. Procrastination doesn't mean you have a bad work ethic 

Busy Girl

There is a lot of pros of being a professional procrastinator. For example, you are good at multitasking. You can get two tasks (that you forgot to do, of course) done at the same time. You are also a hard worker because you always have to work extra hard to get everything done all on time. There is also the fact that you can handle the pressure well, let's say you really do mess up a deadline in the real world, you have been procrastinating since kindergarten and can handle it like a boss, so it doesn't faze you, and that work project gets you promoted. You're welcome. Not to mention you also feel like a boss when you conquer your forever growing to-do list, and that's really a confidence boost.

Get back to work and just know, procrastination isn't for the faint of heart.