Burna Boy, the hottest new artist to listen to.

Burna Boy Is Bringing Music Back To Its Roots And Shaking Up The Industry

Atmospheric and melodic, the Nigerian Afro-fusion singer creates music for the soul.

10

When people who don't watch "The Daily Show with Trevor Noah" ask me why I watch it, the answer is simple. Is it for a breakdown or summary of the news? Is it for his commentary on the news? Well, yes but it's also about something else: the guests. Not only does the show host a variety of guests, but they also host those who may not be receiving heavy media coverage. On the August 13, 2019, episode of the show, I was introduced to Burna Boy, Nigeria's most prominent Afro-fusion singer.

Now, what exactly is Afro-fusion? Burna Boy explains it as if it's a pizza with Afro-beat as the base, or the dough, onto which you can build any pizza by selecting different toppings which are the musical genres, ranging from hip-hop to dance hall to trap and everything in between.

Born Damini Ogulu, Burna Boy has been around since he rose to fame back in 2012. As of writing, he has added performing at Coachella and releasing a fourth album, to his accolades. However, he doesn't take his fame lightly.

Burna Boy is dedicated to shaking up the industry and shining a light on issues that have been largely ignored.

As a native Nigerian, he has seen first-hand the issues the country is grappling with, "things that have been going on there since the 1960s," from corruption to violence. Filled with honor and a deep sense of responsibility, Burna Boy hopes his music is a wake-up call.

A wake-up call to action.

A wake-up call for change.

A wake-up call for acceptance, diversity, and recognition for those marginalized within the industry.

Despite much of his music being sung in his native language, his music is resonating with audiences all over the world. People pick up on the "vibe, the vibration" and in Burna Boy's belief, Afrobeats is having a moment because "everything started in Africa, [and] it's all coming back to its roots eventually. When you hear our music, it resonates in your soul."

Burna Boy's music is truly soulful. The best three words I can think of to describe it, are calming, transcending, and spiritual.