Bummer Summer

Bummer Summer

Why I'm not ready for the summer.

Normally, the summer is everyone's favorite time of year. It's a time of relaxing and enjoying some great weather. This year, I'm not ready for the summer, and have a few good reasons why.

1. I'm still waiting on my "summer bod"

That's right. I'm not in any kind of shape to be partaking in normal summer activities. With it being my freshman year of college, my summer break starts an entire month earlier than what I'm used to. I kept thinking, "Oh, I'll go to the gym later" or "I have plenty of time to get in shape," but now that I have two weeks left in school, I realize that it's just not going to happen. Of course I'm all for loving the skin you're in, but I don't think I'm alone when I say that I'd be a little more comfortable in my skin if I didn't feel like I was a whale at the beach in comparison to everyone else. By the time I actually do get fit, summer will be over. Oh well, I guess.

2. What even is free time?

College has been crazy busy, and that is what I'm used to. So what the heck am I suppose to do with all of this free time? I can't even remember what free time is. I know that summer is about relaxing and going with the flow, but I actually kind of like having my days somewhat planned out. I just feel like I'm going to be bored a lot of the time while I'm gone for the summer. I suppose in my free time I'll be looking for something to keep me busy.

3. Raleigh is my life

It seems like I've just settled in at school. I'm finally getting the hang of things. I've found my best friends, school is going well, and I know what hobbies I like. So why do I feel like these things are being taken away from me? I know that summer is only a few short months, and I'll be back here before I know it, but I love my life in Raleigh and the thought of returning home breaks my heart a little. Don't get me wrong, I love my hometown, but...

4. Things back home will be different

By this point, most of my friends have gone off and experienced their first year of college. Some, like me, may have had realizations that they need to grow up and have decided to take their relationship with Jesus seriously. Others may have gotten into the party scene. Others may be really focused on graduation. Either way, all of us have changed in some manner. Of course, I've grown up with these people, so no matter what we're going to remain best friends, but I just don't typically like change, so I guess we'll see how it goes.

All in all, I am ready for a break from school, but I just feel really unprepared for the summer that's before me. I really hope things will be better than I anticipate.