So it's the week after July 4th. That means that there is no longer any doubt as to whether or not it is summertime. Schools are all out, from colleges to high schools. Pools are open, beaches are crowded and vacation spots everywhere are starting to see crowds. It's time to start cooking like you know that the temperatures are hot.
1. Crunchy Pasta Salad
1 box Suddenly Salad Pasta Salad, Classic
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 cup chopped white onion
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup broken Triscuits
1/4 cup Grated parmesan cheese
1. Prepare pasta salad as directed, using olive oil instead of vegetable oil.
2. Before adding pasta to herb/oil mixture, add in almond slices. Stor. Add pasta. Add onion. Add tomato. Stir well. Sprinkle celery on top.
3..Add in Triscuits.Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top and refridgerate for 2-3 hours before serving. Serving size = 2 cups.
2. Grilled chicken kebabs
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, chunked
- 1 yellow onion, quartered and chunked
- 1 red pepper, chunked
- 16-20 baby portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into 1-inch rounds
- Prepare marinade in a long, shallow baking dish by combining lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare kabobs by skewering alternating pieces of chicken and various veggies. Be sure to leave enough room on ends of skewers to flip them while cooking.
- Place skewers in baking dish with marinade, and roll to coat. Cover dish and refrigerate overnight or at least for a few hours.
- When ready to cook, heat grill to high. Place skewers on grill. Cook, using tongs to turn skewers occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Steamed Corn on the Cob
4 cobs of corn, shucked
1. Put 2″ of water in the bottom of the pot
2. Place corn over a steamer basket and cover pot.
3. Break the corn cobs in half if necessary to fit them all in to the pot.
4. Bring the water to a boil and steam the corn about 7- 10 min.
4. Strawberry shortcake
3 pints frozen strawberries
1/2 cup white sugar
1 plain biscuit/plain English muffin, sliced
Canned whipped cream
1. Thaw and then refrigerate strawberries.
2.Combine ingredients, taking care to sprinkle sugar on the strawberries to sweeten them a bit.
3.Top off with the whipped cream and enjoy!
Serving size = 1 shortcake