Beautiful Bartlesville Buffalo Statues

Bartlesville: Where The Buffalo Roam

Bartlesville, Oklahoma is home to a plethora of richly decorated buffalo statues.

1966
Bartlesville: Where The Buffalo Roam
Lorna Spencer

I spent my Spring Break tracking down buffalo in Northeast Oklahoma with my mom. One of the places we went to was Bartlesville to see the buffalo herd at Woolaroc. However, we ended up spending most of the day searching for the decorated buffalo statues around town. There were about 30. Back in 1998, a local Girl Scout troop decided to make their Senior Gold project selling buffalo statues to companies and businesses in Bartlesville. The project became known as the Buffalo Stampede, and all the proceeds went to a non-profit organization called Mary Martha Outreach that provides food and other necessities to those in need.

Since it was 20 years ago, the statues are relatively worn down, some more than others. But they're in good enough shape to justify taking pictures of them. Bartlesville's tourism website had a list of statue locations, which made our endeavor possible. For each buffalo, I took a picture of it and with it. I'll share some of my favorites, along with any information I have on them.

1. Tree of Life

Callie Spencer

Presented by First Presbyterian Church (Matthew 13:31-32)

Artist: Marilyn King

Sculptress: Sandra VanZandt

Art: Jim Herndon

Jesse's Pain and Body

American FiberGlass Animals

2. Amedeus

Callie Spencer

Located in front of OKM Music

Artist: Kim Heckenkemper

Sculptress: Sandra VanZandt

Art: Jim Herndon

Westside Paint and Body

Eric Fisher 3D Extreme

3. Van Gogh-Falo

Callie Spencer

Located in Sears Park

Artist: Cindy Bennett

In the background: Willie Wildcat (Artist: Janet White)

4. Patch

Callie Spencer

Located in front of Boy Scouts of America

Artist: Erinn Rakes

5. Icon of the American West

Callie Spencer

Located inside the Tri-County Technology Center

Artist: Jan Martin

There's a fun story with this one! It's located inside of a building that was closed for Spring Break. However, the doors were unlocked, so my mom and I were able to go inside to take pictures. Afterward, we called someone to tell them they should probably lock the building so undesirables don't vandalize or steal anything.

6. Up and Away

Callie Spencer

Located outside ReMax

Artist: Cindy Bennett

This buffalo was right outside someone's office window, so the guy came out and offered to get a picture of me and my mom in front of the statue.

7. Nickelangelo

Callie Spencer

Located outside Truity Credit Union

Artist: Cindy Bennett

Sculptress: Sandra VanZandt

Art: Jim Herndon

Jesse's Paint and Body

American FiberGlass Animals

8. Mac

Callie Spencer

Located outside Berkshire Hathaway Home Services, formerly McAnaw and Company Realtors

Artist: Cindy Bray

Sculptress: Sandra VanZandt

Art: Jim Herndon

Jesse's Paint and Body

American FiberGlass Animals

9. Hands On Fun

Callie Spencer

Located in the Kiddie Park

Artist: Erinn Rakes

Sculptress: Sandra VanZandt

Art: Jim Herndon

Jesse's Paint and Body

American FiberGlass Animals

10. Splash

Callie Spencer

Located in front of the Bartlesville Splash Club

11. Max

Callie Spencer

Located in front of Siemens Industry, Inc.

Artist: Kerri Fleming

Sculptress: Sandra VanZandt

Art: Jim Herndon

Jesse's Paint and Body

American FiberGlass Animals

12. West

Callie Spencer

This unnamed buffalo (whom I call West) is located outside of Westside Paint and Body.

He doesn't have a plaque with information, but I would bet that he was decorated by the same company that bought him since they decorated some of the other buffalo in the stampede.

This guy was the shiniest and most well-kept. I assume he gets regular touch ups.

If you ever find yourself in Bartlesville, the buffalo statues are beautiful to behold. That being said, you should also check out the real buffalo at Woolaroc. I'll even include a picture for you.

Callie Spencer

I dedicate this article to Sparty, who was removed from his location due to vandalism.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/352477108317061406/