12 Lines From BTS' UN Speech To Remind You To Love Yourself

"We have learned to love ourselves, so now I urge you to speak yourself."

15357
bts on couch

Without a doubt, BTS is one of the most positive groups in the whole world. In the time that I have been a fan, I have become kinder, more interested in music and the art of dancing, genuinely enamored with a foreign culture, and I have noticed a radical shift in my sense of self-worth.

Their "Love Yourself" campaign has impacted in ways I cannot even begin to describe. I had always considered myself confident, proud of the person I am, but in identifying with some of their lyrics from former albums, I started to recognize my own vulnerabilities. BTS taught me that in order to love myself, I have to embrace all parts of myself, even the parts that aren't so glamorous. I have to learn to recognize the beauty in my weaknesses.

They just spoke at the UN General Assembly on September 24, 2018. Kim Namjoon delivered an emotional speech prompting us to take the next step in loving ourselves: speaking ourselves. This positive message is something I fear is becoming rarer in our world that seems to be thriving on controversy, division, and negativity. It is my hope that anyone who hears Namjoon's "love yourself" speech or reads the highlights in this article can strive for the sense of peace and harmony these words gave to me.

In May 2019, BTS will bring their "Love Yourself: Speak Yourself" tour to select cities in the US. This is an incredible opportunity to see them share their inspiring message live.

​1. "True love first begins with loving myself."

2. "I used to look up at the night sky in wonder, and I used to dream the dreams of a boy."

3. "I used to imagine that I was a superhero who could save the world."

4. "I began to shut out my own voice and started to listen to the voices of others."

5. "No one called out my name, and neither did I."

6. "Maybe I made a mistake yesterday, but yesterday's me is still me. Today, I am who I am with all of my faults and my mistakes. Tomorrow, I might be a tiny bit wiser, and that will be me too."

7. "These faults and mistakes are what I am, making up the brightest stars in the constellation of my life."

8. "I have come to love myself for who I am, for who I was, and for who I hope to become."

9. "We have learned to love ourselves, so now I urge you to speak yourself."

10. "I would like to ask all of you: What is your name? What excites you and makes your heart beat? Tell me your story. I wanna hear your voice."

11. "No matter who you are, where you're from, your skin color, your gender identity, just speak yourself. Find your name and find your voice by speaking yourself."

12. "I have many faults and I have many more fears, but I'm gonna embrace myself as hard as I can. And I'm starting to love myself gradually, just little by little."

https://giphy.com/gifs/music-video-bts-idol-cAgOIaQuWt5FS5xkYB

Thank you, BTS, for teaching us how to love ourselves!