I (Alpha)Bet I Will Have An Epic Four Years Here at Bryn Mawr

The ABC's of Bryn Mawr.

135
Instagram

A! Anassa!

You know that cheer several colleges have? At Bryn Mawr, students recurringly belt out our Anass which is in ancient Greek and it goes like this: Anassa kata, Ia ia ia Nike, Bryn Mawr, Bryn Mawr, Bryn Mawr! I heard that only seniors can start the anass. Pretty sure I will be haunted by the anass when hearing it after I graduate from Bryn Mawr.

B! Bryn Mawr!

Bryn Mawr is named after the place itself which is part of the Lower Merion Township only 6.4 kilometers from Philadelphia. Bryn Mawr is “big hill” in Welsh. I imagine Bryn Mawr being a place full of hills. I have been to downtown Bryn Mawr, where there are many restaurants such as Peace A Pizza, Zoe’s Kitchen, Gullifty’s, and Sushi Land. There is also the Bryn Mawr Film Institute where I can see movies.

C! Class Colors!

Each class has its own color whether it be red, dark blue, green, or light blue. These colors consecutively represent the following four natural elements: fire, water, earth, and air. Class of 2017 color is red. Class of 2018 color is dark blue. Class of 2019 color is green. Last but not least, Class of 2020 (our class, ayyyyyy) color is light blue. There is also McBride, which are women over 24 earning their bachelor’s degrees. Their color is purple for spirit. Anyways, I cannot wait to get a bunch of light blue objects whether it be a lantern, maypole, or pin. I already got a light blue Bryn Mawr T-shirt for free during the Admitted Student Event.

D! Dual Degree!

Did you know that students get the opportunity to earn their Master’s degree at UPenn while simultaneously earning their Bachelor’s degree whether it be in engineering or city and regional planning? That’s cool. This makes me feel empowered because this is a leg up to being admitted to grad school in an Ivy League.

E! Emily Balch Seminars!

One requirement is taking a first year seminar during the fall semester. Our seminars, which are discussion-based, have a fancy name: Emily Balch Seminars. Emily Balch, an economist, is a Bryn Mawr alum who was known for her unique perspective. There are so many seminars to choose whether it be about empathy, painting with light, simulated versions of humans such as puppets, or more. In addition, there is Emily Balch Speaker Series which is when an author presents a formal lecture to the freshmen as well as an informal conversation.

F! Food!

Food may be in every college but I heard that the food at Bryn Mawr is exceptional. I remembered during my time at the Admitted Student event I ate some really well made Thanksgiving dinner. I remembered eating that on a Sunday which is the day sundaes are served. I ate colorful vanilla flavored ice cream. Where else can that be found? Plus, Bryn Mawr is near Philadelphia where you can eat mouthwatering cheesesteaks. The food is a big perk of being at Bryn Mawr but beware of Freshman 15!

G! GOLD!

After I graduate from Bryn Mawr, I know my four years as a student there may be over but I can still get involved by going GOLD (Graduates Of the Last Decade). This is a club of alumni that raises over $50,000 for Bryn Mawr. That money gets used for financial aid, scholarships, free landry, and more! Basically, GOLD helps students have a good time big and small.

H! Honor Code!

The Honor Code influences the campus vibe both academically and socially in numerous details. The admissions counselor who led the information session I went to is a 2015 graduate. Also, students can schedule their own exams and take them without a proctor. When I visited a dorm, I saw students leave their belongings outside their dorm rooms and their toiletries inside the bathroom.

I! Interdisciplinary!

At Bryn Mawr, there is the opportunity to immerse in an interdisciplinary experience called the 360° program. Students take three (or two) different courses centered around one idea. Students also have the opportunity to travel. As an example, there is a 360° cluster called “Food and Communication”. The three courses are East Asian Languages and Culture, Eating Empire: Food, Diaspora, and Victorian Britain, and Food and Identity in Spain. Basically, students taking this cluster learn about three different cultures and of course get the chance to scarf down some exotic food. They also get to travel to Barcelona. The idea behind this cluster is that food can be transportable but can there be communication at a high enough level that this will solve food inequality? Definitely not going to graduate from Bryn Mawr without taking a 360°!

J! Jam Sessions!

I heard that every Seven Sister dorm has a piano. I am psyched about this, having been playing piano for the last twelve years. That means jam sessions all the time using a very lonely instrument. While it can be hard that I play a lonely instrument, I like performing by myself as a way to stand out. But jamming is always fun. This is the perfect way to balance standing out solo with incorporating my social life through music.

K! Katharine Hepburn!

Believe it or not, Katharine Hepburn is Bryn Mawr’s most famous alum who graduated in 1928 When I visited the student center, I saw her quote “If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased.” This gave me the impression that Bryn Mawr puts emphasis on the self which I really like. During May Day, there is always a showing of The Philadelphia Story starring Hepburn.

L! Lantern Night!

While Bryn Mawr’s four big traditions aim to build community, I believe that Lantern Night achieves this goal the best. Sophomores give lanterns to freshmen, passing the light of knowledge from one class to another, while everyone sings in Ancient Greek. I have been awaiting my beautiful light blue lantern for all this time. The second Step Sing happens.

M! May Day!

Many colleges have a school-wide tradition called “Spring Weekend” but we have May Day which happens after the last week of classes. Breakfast served is strawberry and cream. Activities include parades, Maypole Dancing to Dar Williams’ “As Cool As I Am”, other kinds of dancing, and concerts. Students wear white. I remember wearing a white dress for my high school graduation and I wanted to have a May Day breakfast that day but there were no strawberries at home. The last Step Sing happens.

N! Nettie Stevens!

Nettie Stevens is a very famous alumni of Bryn Mawr. She was an American geneticist who discovered the meaning behind the X and Y chromosome. Out of all the women’s colleges, Bryn Mawr puts the most emphasis on science. In fact, the biggest majors are math and biology. I am sure Bryn Mawr will produce female scientists as impressive as Nettie Stevens. Recently, she celebrated her 155th birthday in heaven.

O! Owl!

The owl is the mascot of Bryn Mawr. The name of the sports team is Owls. The lanterns have owl designs. There are also owls lurking on campus. In the Thomas Great Hall, there is a statue of Athena. Students make offerings to her. Guess who her partner in crime is? An owl. In the center of Rockefeller Arch, there is a stone owl who is known as the protector of the college. At Bryn Mawr, owls are everywhere!

P! Parade Night!

Started from Customs Week and now we freshmen are here! Parade Night is one of Bryn Mawr’s four big traditions that celebrates the completion of the first week of classes. I cannot wait to meet my sister class, Class of 2018 as well as my friendly rivals Class of 2019 and Class of 2017. I also get junior mentors. I wonder who will march in the parade, what music will be played, and what people will wear. Gotta party up! The first step sing happens.

Q! Quaker Consortium!

Just because Bryn Mawr is a women’s college does not mean that students cannot meet boys. They can take classes at Haverford, Swarthmore, and even University of Pennsylvania. These four institutions form the “Quaker Consortium”. Within this consortium is the Tri-Co, which is the partnership between the three liberal arts colleges. Within the Tri-Co is the partnership between Bryn Mawr and Haverford called the Bi-Co.

R! Rockefeller Arch!

The Rockefeller Arch (Rock Arch) is associated with one of my favorite legends because it has something to do with love. If you kiss your significant other in Rock Arch, the relationship will be eternal. However, if you guys kiss on the Moon Bench, then you will break up. Well a Bryn Mawr bucket list that I should lounge on the Moon Bench. Maybe this is a challenge to resist the urge of kissing there.

S! Self-Government Association!

The Self-Government Association (SGA) is a major part of the Bryn Mawr life. It is run by the students so they get to create rules for being at Bryn Mawr. Every Sunday at 7pm there is a Representative Council meeting and every student is welcome to attend. Twice a year a Plenary happens, which gives students the opportunity to write resolutions for various government related reasons such it be amending the constitution, ratifying school policy, or creating a campus wide policy. Plus, the plenaries have themes related to the senior class color. As an example, the theme of the plenaries for the Class of 2015 is Wicked because their color is green. Self-governance is a skill that is nothing to sneeze at!

T! Thomas Great Hall!

The Thomas Great Hall is an important place at Bryn Mawr. Originally a library, it is now a place for performances, public gatherings, lectures, and Harry Potter parties that happen every four years. It indeed looks like the Great Hall from Hogwarts. At one corner stands the statue of Athena. I think someone from Haverford tried to steal it once but luckily it is still there. Students make offerings to Athena such as wishing to pass an exam or win the heart of a Haverboy.

U! Uncommon Grounds Cafe!

This is just the name of a cafe on campus. Cool name, huh? I am pretty sure that freshmen often work there to get paid. Coffee is sold there. I guess this may be my go-to in case I suffer a sleepless night. U is for Uncommon Grounds Cafe because it is *uncommon* for any word associated with Bryn Mawr to begin with U.

V! Vagina Monologues!

Bryn Mawr is an incredibly caring school in a way that every year, there is a performance of ‘The Vagina Monologues’ which aims to raise awareness of and end gendered violence. There are people out there who are transgender and face discrimination. Because this is a major issue, this is definitely something on the Bryn Mawr bucket list.

W! WTF Week!

No! WTF does not stand for “What the -- (Oh, of course you know what fills the blank space ;) ). This is Welcome The Freshmen Week. This major tradition happens between the winter and spring break. Freshmen get the opportunity to bond with the upper class kids and gifts are passed. I remember as a high school freshman, I thought that freshman did not like to bond with the upper class kids. I am glad this will change.

X! X Marks the Spot!

After going on the tour and listening at the Information Session at Bryn Mawr, I had a feeling this is my top choice. I even thought this could very possibly be my top choice before even stepping on campus. So I applied Early Decision and luckily got my acceptance letter. X marks the spot here!

Y! YOLO!

College is going to be the party of my life. I can only go to college once so I only have one chance to live these next four years to the fullest. I will do this by checking off any bucket lists. My best days are right ahead so YOLO!

Z! Zeal!

Obviously Bryn Mawr is a women’s college. I heard that in classrooms with only if not mostly women, students gain confidence academically and do not feel inferior to guys. With that, I think students at Bryn Mawr are full of zeal when they are in class. After all, this is what going to a women’s college is about!