Harper's $330m Contract Sparks Hope For Others Big Timers In The MLB

What Bryce Harper's Insane Contract Means For Other Big Timers In The MLB

Large sums of money cause large sums of conversation throughout the league.

358

After finally reaching a deal with the Philadelphia Phillies, which is composed of a humble $330 million, Bryce Harper has stirred up a great amount of chatter throughout the MLB.

After seeing the negotiations pan out between the Philadelphia club and the star outfielder, experts started asking what this agreement will mean for the other big names in baseball. Although Harper was not the only one to receive an insane deal, with Manny Machado signing with the San Diego Padres for $300 million after two consecutive World Series appearances with the Dodgers, his stood out the most.

As soon as Harper declared free-agency, all eyes were on him and where he would end up for the 2019 season. The months of speculations and predictions ended abruptly with a shocking sum of money promised to the outfielder from a Phillies team that had a sub-par season in 2018. Soon after, all eyes were on Mike Trout, the Los Angeles Angels star, who is nearing the end of his time with the Los Angeles club.

Trout had by far the most impressive and successful personal season in all of the MLB in 2018. His power at the plate and speed in the outfield set him apart from nearly everyone in the league. However, the Angels' lack of success held Trout back from being in the spotlight.

As his time comes to an end with the struggling club, Trout is a top prospect for many clubs. There has even been chatter of Harper "recruiting" Trout to Philly for the 2020 season. However, Harper's extreme deal should give hope to Trout. There is no sign of clubs being frugal with their budget on these big-ticket players and that will remain true for the star outfielder.