The Best Brunch Deals From Houston Restaurant Week

How to enjoy the delicious food of Houston on a college student's budget.

163

August in Houston means many things, from back-to-school vibes to the sweltering heat and humidity. But for food lovers, there is one aspect of August that is most exciting: Houston Restaurant Week. Houston Restaurant Week is actually a month-long event in August during which dozens of restaurants from the Houston area participate to help raise money for the Houston Food Bank. The restaurants have a special menu from which you can choose multiple courses for a fixed price, and the restaurant donates a portion of the proceeds to the food bank. Of course, there are way too many restaurants to try in just one month — how does a college student enjoy HRW when the menus prices can get up to $45 per person? Easy, just check out my favorite mealtime: brunch. At the cheapest menu price of $20, you can enjoy food of both the breakfast and lunch variety.

Here are four of the best brunch spots to take advantage of this month. Just make sure you save room for dessert — it's included!

1. Up Restaurant

If you're feeling fancy, check out Up Restaurant's gorgeous dining room. With three first course choices and five second course choices, this menu is one that makes me really happy. A wild mushroom truffle omelette sounds a lot nicer than my scrambled eggs and toast at home. For dessert, choose among assorted macarons, a creme brulee trio, Tahitian brioche pudding, or a classic ice cream sundae.

2. Backstreet Cafe

Brioche french toast, avocado toast, and short rib risotto are just a few options from the seven choices of first courses at Backstreet Cafe. The restaurant is in a cute house that makes it cozy and also great for a relaxing brunch. For dessert, have an old school coconut cream pie, or for chocolate lovers (me), get the chocolate and caramel tart with passion fruit ice cream.

3. Caio Bello

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F07%2F29%2F636054152322202625-1784649564_best-cannoli-recipe-houston.jpg%3Fw%3D576%26h%3D300%26crop%3D1&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=897&h=efd9f12dfbf82afe5297e96172c7431ca4d7e6919bc24d6bfa4b6df150b5c6ac&size=980x&c=1120412124 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F07%252F29%252F636054152322202625-1784649564_best-cannoli-recipe-houston.jpg%253Fw%253D576%2526h%253D300%2526crop%253D1%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D897%26h%3Defd9f12dfbf82afe5297e96172c7431ca4d7e6919bc24d6bfa4b6df150b5c6ac%26size%3D980x%26c%3D1120412124%22%7D" expand=1 original_size="1x1"]

They could just give me a plate of cannoli and I'd be very happy, but at Caio Bello you'll get to choose from a long list of 12 dishes. At this Italian restaurant, the menu goes from agnolotti to classic eggs benedict to cannolis or lemoncello pie.

4. Hearsay Gastro Lounge

Other than the pretty chandelier, Hearsay Gastro Lounge has some pretty food as well. Cufried green tomato bites, bayou bourbon wings with roasted garlic ranch, southern shrimp and grits, and smoked Texas short rib omelette are just a few. Plus the setting will make for some nice Instagram posts.

And there you have it. A few of the best brunch spots with the best deals for HRW. Eat well and feel good knowing you're contributing to a good cause. Happy Restaurant Week!