Brotherly Love

Brotherly Love

Just let dudes be dudes. This one's to all the brothers.

16
Brotherly Love
White House

With all your stresses and worries about the future, sometimes you forget to just appreciate the present. I want you to take a long deep breath and just appreciate the brothers you have that support and love you unconditionally, whether they be here at school or back at home. This year, I had been struggling to find my community of close brothers like I had at home whom I could joke around with, eat with, chill around, ball with, and just do "guy" things. I had been so desperately searching for this community of brothers whom I could rely on, grow with, love, and even make fun of that I lost all focus of what I had already.

This week was pretty rough, but amidst the stresses of deciding my classes next year and then facing discouragement by people about my classes next year, along with all the school work, it had finally hit me. Those brothers I had been searching for were right in front of me all along. I took a step back and just reflected on the present rather than filling my life with anxiety for the future. Wherever I lived, back at home or here at school, I have my brothers, and they’re not going anywhere. This week I began to fully appreciate and find joy in all the bros that were around me: my biological brother, my best friend, the sophomores, the juniors, the seniors, the Techies, my boys back home, and even my dad. I’ll never admit that to him though.

I think memories are so beautiful, because you can reflect on everything in your past and find all the good that has come. When I reflect, I realize how much I’ve grown, and really how much I’ve changed. I can go on for years about how much I’ve changed, but the credit really goes to my brothers, all of you. All the times spent together, all the little moments, they add up, and whether we are going through tough times or great times, love, loyalty, and support have always been there. I can’t thank all the brothers in my life enough for bringing the pure joy that I really don’t deserve. You’ve helped me to grow and build character, but also to just relax and have fun. Appreciation and joy trumps money and accessories any day.

So this really goes to all the brothers out there. Despite all your stresses about the future, take just 20 minutes and reflect on the present, and appreciate what you have. There’s no true joy in living in tomorrow, because tomorrow isn’t the truth. And truth is, today you are loved by all your brothers, whoever they are and however far they live. Each of our brotherly relationships are different, but they are founded upon appreciation and happiness, so find that foundation again. Reflect on the great memories with your brothers, all the times you were able to grow together, all the moments shared, and just appreciate it. You remember things for a reason, why not find joy in that? Those moments around the fire on a summer night talking and roasting each other, or moments playing basketball and getting overly competitive, or moments where you pig out at a restaurant. Anything and everything has good to it.

Cherish those moments with your brothers, because nothing beats bro talks, and nothing beats broments. I smile at the thought of all my boys going through life together and growing together. I wouldn’t trade anything for those moments when all of us are just hanging out and laughing our asses off at something so dumb and pointless. Brothers have no shame, no standards for each other, and no judgement. It’s so weird but yet so great that we can grow, struggle, and accomplish, with such minimal fights. Even if we do fight, it’s over in 5 minutes. There’s something so special about brotherly connections, and whatever it is, it’s awesome.