The Good And Bad Of Brookdale Community College

My thoughts on what can make the learning experience better at Brookdale for students.

156

Classes at Brookdale start up in about a week, and that got me thinking about the good and bad things about going to school there. This editorial looks at the issues students and staff deal with while trying to get and education or working to teach. From comfortability to issues with wireless internet, students take it all in stride in their daily grind to get an education. With some things being fixed over the years, improvements have been made. However, some things still are under construction in the learning world.

School should be a place where students feel comfortable learning. Any student who has sat in many of the classrooms on campus will tell you how uncomfortable the seats and desks can be on any given day. Also, the setting of the classrooms does not always give the student the best feel for professor and student interaction.

While the school has invested good money into programs for Internet connections and email program, there have been many days when wireless connections have been at a disadvantage to students using them.

The school campus has been around since the 1970s. While the buildings have held up for the most part, many parts of the school are showing their age, and in classrooms, you can find missing ceiling tiles and spots where leaks are.

Students have little room to work with in the classroom. Many desks are too small for the modern student. This leads to discomfort and can distract them from doing their schoolwork. In some rooms, professors sit down at a desk for the whole class. Others stand at a podium and lecture. What would be best is the most interactive professor who walks and talks at the same time and keeps the attention of the class.

Brookdale students could benefit from more room and better desk space. Also, in rooms where computers are, some have remained broken, which puts the class at a disadvantage since not all students can use them. This slows down the class and learning of everyone. Students should send emails or talk to the Brookdale Board of Governance to explain that between broken chairs and computers, the school would be best to fix these problems and invest in new furniture and computers.

Today wireless connection is an important part of learning in school. However, on certain days, students wonder if it's working at all. Anyone would understand that with so many people on campus it could be a problem. However, with projects to be done, anytime work is needed to be done is stressful and students want to be able to get their projects in on time. Also, a wireless connection that students can use and get their projects done fast. For students that may not have access at home, the campus library is the only place they can work and do their homework. Better Internet connections would benefit every student's classroom experience.

One good move Brookdale made recently, this past spring, was that the email changed to Microsoft programs. Students are now able to easily link their projects to their email. This has made it easier for everyone's on-campus and off-campus work. While it was not as easy to transition, everyone has moved on and got it to work. Having Microsoft work with Brookdale has been a good partnership and hopefully will help the future students learn and do projects.

Even though the Brookdale administration decided last year to spend money on a back walkway, one that will help beautifies the look of the look of the campus, students still are looking to why school costs are going up every year. This year will be no different, while a new back walkway will look nice, students and staff on campus would benefit from improvements to the classrooms and wireless connections. These Improvements would make Brookdale classrooms more comfortable and ready for more students to use to look up information.

Professors would also have a much easier time teaching with better Internet and tools that work with it. Since more learning is coming from the World Wide Web than books now, professors will benefit from being able to show more students information and explaining it better from Internet tools. As more high school students and adults are looking for a college education, Brookdale would be wise to invest better in these projects and make sure they are ready for the future of learning.

Students of Brookdale need to come together and make sure that their money is going to the right place. First by sending emails to the student leaders, who would most likely understand the issues professors and students face. Also, both can write or speak with the Brookdale Board of Governance during meetings or schedule a meeting to work out a plan and make sure money is being spent in the right places. Students want to have comfortable seats and computers that work for all. The request to have these should not be seen as a major deal. The time is now for all students to take action to make Brookdale a positive school for them and the future students.