The Impact Hispanic Representation Has On Broadway

This Is The MASSIVE Impact And Influence Hispanic Representation Has Had On Broadway

Celebrating the Hispanic influence on Broadway!

200

This month, from September 15 to October 15, celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month!

I wanted to speak about the Hispanic representation that has been introduced on Broadway and how much of an impact it has had on Broadway through musicals and events!

"In The Heights"

The musical "In the Heights" celebrates the Hispanic culture by involving Spanglish songs and Hispanic characters. The story is about a young man, Usnavi, who lives in Washington Heights.

He works at a coffee bodega and is surrounded by a Dominican American community that explains their lives and troubles in Washington Heights.

They express their situations through singing, dancing, and acting.

The musical involves salsa and merengue with Spanish speaking songs and even a song that translates Spanish to English (Sunrise). The musical won four Tony's. The musical is being turned into a movie in 2021!

"Hamilton"

The musical "Hamilton" also celebrates diversity and Hispanic characters.

Alexander Hamilton, Aaron Burr, John Laurens, and most of the cast were all played by Hispanic or Black characters.

The show tells Alexander Hamilton's life story. Also, the show was created by the same person who made "In the Heights," Lin Manuel Miranda! His musicals seem to always involve and celebrate the Hispanic culture. In addition, Hamilton holds the record for the most Tony Award nominations, 16!

'"Viva Broadway"

Viva Broadway" celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month. The event celebrates the contribution that Hispanic culture has had and still has on Broadway.

The event is a concert that is made to "bridge the world of Broadway with Latinx audiences around the country."