10 Reasons We Should Bring Back Snail Mail

On the bright side, it's not a bill!

354
Kennedy McCann

Snail Mail: actually using the postal system. Lame? Nope, far from it! The idea of sending letters has definitely strayed since we have 17 million types of social media, email, FaceTime and texting, don't forget Skype or the other video chat sites--honestly this list could go on and on because technology runs the world today. But, don't you miss getting a sweet surprise in the mail that isn't a bill or a catalog for stuff you don't need? It's just like the days of sending a letter to Santa all over again-- minus getting gifts in return! Snail mail is most always best, well so long as it's not a "dear john" letter. So let's bring snail mail back, let's be more intentional and personal and remember why people used to write to each other back in the day!

1. Personal

Whether it's a love letter or just a letter to your best friend, snail mail is so much better than anything electronic because the art of a handwritten letter is so personal! What better than to see someone's handwriting-- how special is that compared to the same black font on a tiny little screen?

2. Creativity

I can't be alone in loving creative arts and crafts, right? What better way then decorating envelopes with phrases like "dear Mr. mailman, please deliver this to my best friend" or, by drawing the shapes of your states in two different corners with splashes of color? Get creative with stamps too!

3. Patience

It's like waiting for Christmas when you know you have a letter coming! It's even better because it could be any day so it gives you an excuse to check the mailbox every day! Nothing is more fun than checking the mail and having a surprise letter.

4. Inexpensive

Stamps aren't that expensive to brighten someone's day! Buy a stamp and hand make the card and you'll even save money! Buy a pack of fun stamps like pets and mail away! I'm sure you can find a post-it note, napkin or a piece of paper to stick in an envelope to mail!

5. The fun "extra" stuff

One of the best parts...aside from a handwritten letter, there are so many fun things you can add to your envelope! You can add pictures of recent events, pictures of you and your friends or even postcards! Or, you can pull a GCU and stick confetti in for an extra fun surprise when your friend opens your letter! Plus, you have enough room to send something small in your envelope like a bracelet or something little and fun!

6. For any occasion

You don't have to have a designated pen pal to write letters, send them to any friend whether it's their birthday or you just wanna cheer them up and say "hey"! Send them a birthday card or send them a sentimental message because it can be for anything at all which is the best part!

7. Keepsakes

The best thing about letters is that you can physically hold them and save them! Keep a box of all your letters and look back on them years later! Have a pen pal and look back on your letters! If you have a pen pal, date and number your letters so you can keep them in order and read them in order and look back on that time period!

8. No wifi necessary

Even though there is wifi practically everywhere now, you don't need it to write a letter! Even better, that means you can watch Netflix while you decorate the envelope (great multi tasking idea) and you can even write the letter anywhere. Write it on the plane, in your bed, at a coffee shop, on a long road trip-- if you're not driving of course-- or just write it at the table! If you have to look up ways to creatively decorate your envelope, that will require wifi but I highly suggest Pinterest!

9. It's not a bill.

How fun is it when you get an envelope that isn't a bill and it isn't advertisements?! Crazy great surprise! What better way to brighten someone's day than to give them a gift of an envelope free of bills or good ole' junk mail.

Snail mail is the best way to keep in touch with your gal pals or your significant other! You may be thinking, "why would I send them something? I text them literally every day," but hand written letters are truly from the heart and they have so much intention behind them that makes them so much more special! Send someone a surprise letter or thank you note today, you never know how much they might need to be cheered up!