A Brief Review of The Weeknd's Starboy

A Brief Review of The Weeknd's Starboy

I took a moment to review an album that has taken over the music world, the Weeknd's seventh album.

24
ET/Meredith B. Kile

I’m going to be honest, when I first heard The Weeknd’s new album, Starboy, I wasn’t feeling it as much as I thought I would. I was excited to hear another collaboration between The Weeknd and Lana Del Rey, loving “Prisoner”, and then I learned “Stargirl” was only two minutes, and an interlude at that, which was kind of a let down.

But then, I took a day to listen to the entire album. For the entire day, nothing but Starboy played through my headphones, on my laptop, and even just on my phone speaker. I’m so glad I did it too because I could immerse myself in the album and really get a feel for the music, for the stories, and for The Weeknd himself while doing different activities, like walking to class, getting food, cleaning, and pretty much anything else.

Let’s talk about “Party Monster” for a second. This song starts off with a steady beat and then the bass comes in and takes over. With the Weeknd’s iconic voice and the amazing beat of the song, I have to say that “Party Monster” had to be an instant favorite.

“Rockin’”, “Love To Lay” and “Six Feet Under” are two other favorites that can be considered more “danceable”. I just love the bass and the aesthetic that is The Weeknd’s voice. If anything, “Six Feet Under” is a personal motivation song.

Now, “Die For You”, “True Colors”, and “Sidewalks” are a little slower, but just as great as the more hyped tracks. My personal favorite would be “Die For You”, it’s intense, it has a steady beat, and you can just drown in The Weeknd’s voice and the story he tells in this track. The chorus is especially strong, stirring emotions deep in any listener.

Overall, I really do enjoy Starboy and will probably have a few tracks on repeat for a while. The album shows The Weeknd’s incredible talent in storytelling and his iconic sound in his music. Without a doubt, this album has a song for everyone and I strongly encourage anyone to check it out on Spotify, Itunes, Google Play, or any other music streaming site because it is so worth it.