Brie Larson Puts The HER In HERO In New 'Captain Marvel' Trailer

She is the hero we, and the Avengers, need. Thanos isn't ready.

114

On September 18th, 2018, the newest addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, "Captain Marvel," finally got some spotlight during the first released trailer for the film. The anticipation leading up to the day we get to see this hero up on the big screen is too much for some hardcore Marvel fans, myself included, to handle. Here is a rundown of what this trailer might mean, what you need to know about her, and why this movie is going to change superhero films forever.

The trailer for the movie does a nice job of tying in nostalgic elements having to do with the time period the film takes place while also including fresh new visuals and concepts we haven't seen from Marvel before. Captain Marvel is set to take place in the 90s, which is why in one of the opening scenes of the trailer, we see a Blockbuster storefront. Carol Danvers, AKA Captain Marvel, is portrayed by Brie Larson, who in this first scene, makes crashing through a store's roof and waking up in a foreign world look like a piece of cake. Larson is so talented and I'm excited to see what she brings to the character.

Next, Nick Fury, a beloved character played by none other than Samuel L. Jackson, follows the trend set by many trailers for "Infinity War" by coupling a dramatic monologue with a slow-motion scene of Carol Danvers standing up and walking away from the camera.

"War is a universal language. I know a renegade soldier when I see one."

After this, we finally see a full image of the hero's face as she stands confused in what appears to be a subway or bus station. Fury continues to speak about what has happened on earth in past years. He talks of a space invasion, which might be a partial explanation for the reason that S.H.I.E.L.D. seems to be experimenting on an alien of some sort in a quick clip. He talks of high-speed car chases, another trend Marvel movies have followed. Jackson's character says, "Truth be told, I was ready to hang it up... until I met you today." Let that sink in. The former director of S.H.I.E.L.D. wouldn't have stayed in is profession long enough to claim that title if it hadn't been for Captain Marvel.

Throughout the trailer, the one thing that stuck out to me was that even though Captain Marvel didn't quite remember where she was from or who her people were, she was so driven to protect Earth. She wanted to keep it safe. She is a hero who is unapologetically herself and someone who, as seen time and time again in the trailer, gets back up after she falls down. There is a scene where the word "HERO" appears on the screen, but for a few short fragments of a second before the "O" appears it simply reads "HER." That part really spoke to me. This is the first big motion picture that Marvel where the standalone hero is a woman. I think that in itself is going to make this film stand out to the rest of the movies Marvel has made in the past. Her origin story is one of the best I've heard and I know this movie is for sure going to be a game changer...

"I'm not who you think I am."

CHILLS.