Let's Listen To Women
Politics

Let's Listen To Women

In part one of a new series of personal research, I dive into the recent conflict between Christine Blasey Ford and Brett Kavanaugh.

218
Let's Listen To Women
The IPhone of Rebecca Fish

Recently selected Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh has been the center of attention in the news lately. After the testimony of Christine Blasey Ford, it is no wonder why. For those of you who pretend to be living under a rock, Ford told the story of her sexual assault. At only 15, a young Kavanaugh forced himself upon her during one of many summer parties. The only thing that prevented the assault from turning into a rape was the fact that Ford still had her one piece swimsuit on. If she hadn't gone swimming that afternoon, this would be a rape story.

I believe Ford, in case you have yet to realize that. Since the rise of this terrible event, I have seen post after post on social media talking about different incidents in which an accuser had been lying or how men can get raped too. The thing is, I don't see how the Ford case erases that. I do, however, see how these specific posts dismisses Ford and any other woman's sexual assault story. The moment you say "well so-and-so lied this one time," the moment you mention someone else, you are erasing someone's truth. You are erasing someone's own voice that is already so quiet and timid, someone who was too scared to even speak up for 30 years. But why did she wait so long? She was scared. She was scared for the same reason I decided to write about this: someone, somewhere, refuses to believe her.

I don't understand how people cannot believe her. She isn't gaining anything from this, besides publicity. Even then, why would she create such a story. She isn't trying to sue Kavanaugh. She isn't trying to force him out of the political world. Ford's soul purpose was to speak about her story, to talk about the young man Kavanaugh had been in his youth. The idea behind this is to help the people understand what kind of man Kavanaugh is. Is someone accused of sexual assault fit for a job that deals with the highest of court orders in our country? This question made me think of another argument that has nothing to do with this ordeal:

Let's look at our current Supreme Court Judges. There are eight seats for our country including the Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. Chief Roberts was appointed in 2005 by President George W. Bush and is a white 62 year old male. Then we have Clarence Thomas, a 61 year old black man nominated by Bush in 1991. Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 84, white female, nominated by President Bill Clinton in 1993. Stephen G. Breyer, 78, white male, nominated by Clinton the following year. Samuel Anthony Alito Jr., Kavanugh's predecessor, 67, white male, nominated by Bush in 2005. Sonia Sotomayer, 62, white female, nominated by President Barack Obama in 2009. Elena Kagan, 57, white female, nominated by Obama in 2009. Neil Gorsuch, 49, white male, nominated by our current President, Donald Trump in early 2018.

One of the things I find strange about our country is the fact that we are being led into the future by people who grew up in the past. No offense to the older generations, but how can we as a country move forward when the ones running it have to ask their grandchild to update their smart phone? To lead a court system to represent all of a America, we need to represent all of America. As I research the topic more into depth, I have come to the conclusion that the Supreme Court sees some of the most simplistic court cases, yet our country is responding to the appointment of Kavanaugh as a big event. Looking through the recent 2017-2018 court cases, I found nothing that affects the public outwardly. If the Supreme Court deals with such little events, then it wouldn't be the worst thing to find someone with a better qualification. Someone who hasn't been accused of a sexual assault. Someone young. Someone new. Someone who isn't black or white. Someone who didn't attend an Ivy League or some prestigious entitled higher education. There's so many equally qualified men, women, or non gender conforming citizens in our society who have the same skills as any of these members and have not even been accused of an assault.

Believing Ford is just the tip of an iceberg of a long series of questions that appear when looking at our country. When the Senate voted whether or not to accept Kavanaugh as the newest member of the Supreme Court Justices, 50 out of the 100 Senators voted in his favor leaving 48 opposing Senators. The democracy of this is, of course, fair when skimming the surface. However, if you have passed basic U.S. Government in high school, you would know that the Senate is supposed to represent the people who elected them. According to recent surveys conducted by CNBC, about 48% believe Ford and only 41% support Kavanaugh. If the Senate is to represent the people who elected them, shouldn't the votes be different?