Breakups Are Hard, But You Can Get Over Them.

I recently went through a pretty hard breakup, and it was really painful for me. Now it's been two weeks, and I'm picking myself up and getting better because there are plenty more fish in the sea.

12

Breakups are always hard to get through, especially when you truly cared about your significant other. All you can think about is how much you miss them or how you want them back, no matter what happened. At least, this is what I thought about, but everyone is different. After I went through my breakup, my whole world seemed to change when, in reality, I did not have him around anymore. However, I had to look through all the sadness and pain to realize it wasn't all bad.

The breakup was kind of messy because of how it all played out. He had done some very questionable things that I had a problem with, as would most girls, but he didn't seem to see what the problem was. I got pretty angry at him just shutting down, which is what ultimately caused the breakup. He didn't seem to care anymore, and I wasn't going to try to stay in a relationship where I was the only one who cared. This caused me many heartaches, but it was for the best because I am happier now than I was with him.

We hadn't been together too long, but it still hurt a lot. I went through anger and sadness stages, but I realized a lot when I was going through it. It truly wasn't the relationship I needed at the moment. I'm in college, and I need to go have the college experience. He made that part hard because I always had to worry about what he would think about what I was doing. Breaking up allowed me not to have to worry and stress about what he would think. It allowed me to be free and enjoy life without worry.

Don't get me wrong, I do miss him, and I did love him. However, sometimes, it's just not in the cards for a relationship to happen right now. It also helped to have the best group of friends possible because they supported me through this repeatedly. If it weren't for them, it would have been a lot harder. They helped me see that he wasn't what I needed and that there are plenty of other people out there. It seemed impossible to be happy at that moment, but I'm honestly more optimistic than I've ever been right now, which is what I need.

This breakup also helped me to see that I don't need a relationship to be happy. It is nice to have someone around, don't get me wrong, but it isn't always what you need for college. College is a place to change yourself, experiment, and be on your own. I didn't realize that I genuinely wanted until after I picked myself up and stopped being sad about what happened. So, as much as breakups hurt, sometimes they are exactly what we need to show us that there is always something else out there for us, and we don't always have to rely on a significant other to keep us up.