It’s Breakup Season, Is Your Relationship The Next To Go?

Only you and your significant other can determine the fate of your relationship.

218
Emily Sullivan

It’s that time of year again! The sun shines a little bit longer, you downgrade from a massive parka to a light jacket and you drop the boy that kept you warm all winter. It’s the cycle of cuffing and un-cuffing season that we live in. There is this huge pressure in the winter months to find a relationship, a friend with benefits and or just a solid, reliable cuddle buddy. I mean sure this sounds great but why end it when it gets warm? Summer is just as fun, if not better with a cuddle buddy!

It’s getting to the point where every relationship is in question, no ones safe. It sounds silly but it’s true! Even the most treasured, iconic duos are at risk. The other day I received the heartbreaking, but also low-key great news, that Channing Tatum was now single after splitting from his wife of almost 10 years. This couple I had seen as perfect was now no more.

As pretty as Channing Tatum is to look at, I still would rather have him off the market, in a loving relationship, even if it’s not with me. This has been something I've seen a lot recently. Celebrity couples are often seen as invincible, loving and overall absolute relationship goals, even when that's not the case.

A few days after I received that news, I saw a post on Odyssey by a student at Temple University called Normalizing Divorce Is The Worst Thing We Can Do. This article really got me thinking about how frequent and consistent divorce and break-ups are.

It’s so rare to see couples last and it makes me really upset. I'm not saying everyone's relationship is doomed it is just a simple fact that dating in this century is extremely different. Our generation is said to have changed the relationship game. No more love letters, no more going steady, just a whole lot of sex and tinder. But are we adding divorce to this new relationship norm as well?

In the last few years, I have seen more divorces, annulments and breakups in the media. Not just real life relationships. It includes television and movies as well. The television show Friends was infamous for it's breakups, divorces and overall wild relationship drama. It’s crazy to see how the media talks about divorce as if it's as simple as signing a paper and moving on. It’s not that easy and we should stop pretending it is.

I know break season seems to be getting worse and worse as the years go on but at the end of the day, only you and your significant other can determine the fate of your relationship. It's hard watching what you once believed was absolute relationship goals fall apart. But, you should also beaware every single relationship is different. Your relationship goals will never be fulfiled by switching places with your celebrity crushes spouse.