Breaking The Stereotypes Surrounding Feminism

Feminism is not selective, it is not segregated, and it is not what everyone else says it is.

563
OpenClipArt-Vectors

Everyone has probably heard the term feminism. But when you hear the word feminism, what do you think? Is the association pleasant, or does it leave a bad taste in your mouth? The difference in what people know is in the opinions they have heard about feminism, or the opinions they themselves have formed, either by contact with a feminist or in another manner. Perhaps at least once during your lifetime you have heard any number of these phrases:

"Only women can be Feminists."

"Feminists think they are superior to men."

"Feminists are Man-Haters because they're all lesbians."

"You're a Feminist? But you're not white!"

"Feminists only want gender equality."

"I'm not a Feminist, but I support....."

Even though you may know some things about feminism, you probably can't help thinking "Are these all true?".

Well, I'm here to clear up things up.

To begin, I thought we should take a stroll through history and the historical context of the word feminism. The word was not really used until the late 19th century, even though there were plenty of people who believed in equality, especially gender equality (such as Mary Wollstonecraft). It has also been noted that some of the early 19th century 'feminists' were also a part of abolitionist movements in America. Fast-foward to the 20th century and you have the 19th Amendment, giving women the right to vote, and the Civil Rights Movement. Feminists were present. And they continue on today.

So, let's go down the list:

1. "Only women can be Feminists."

FALSE!

Yes, the term feminism derives from the word feminine meaning woman-like, but that does not mean that feminism is only for one gender. Men, Women, Agender, Non-Binary, Transgender, whatever you define your gender as does not exclude you from the feminist 'club'. just because the word means 'woman-like' does not mean you can't be a feminist. The term was given to the feminists, they didn't take it for themselves. If you've met "feminists" that say that you can't be a feminist because of gender, point them my way and I'll let them know what's up.

2. "You're a Feminist? But you're not white!"

FALSE!

Yes, there is this association of feminism with white women, but not because that's the way it should be. Feminism is for equality of every kind, (Race, Class, Gender, Sexuality, etc.) Which means that people who identify in any of those categories have a right to be involved. And yes, when you look up feminism on the internet the first image will probably be an old white lady. But that doesn't mean that there aren't feminists of color out there! As a collective group, we need to bring more awareness to feminists who are people of color, let them have the spotlight too. Feminism is not just the movement of white women, it is for every person of every color!

3. "Feminists think they are superior to men."

WRONG!

Feminism = Equality. That does not mean feminists (and by stereotypical association, 'women') think they are better. All we ask is that everyone has the same rights as the majority. What is the majority, you ask? White, Straight, Cis-Gendered, Upper-Class Men. Does that mean every person belonging to that category is bad? No! But what people in that category should realize is that they have more privilege than those who do not identify as any of the above. When their privilege is pointed out to them, they feel attacked, when really they should realize that there is NOT universal equality. So no, Feminists DO NOT think we are superior to men, they just want equality on all levels. *cough, cough* Like equal-pay. *cough*

4. "Feminists are Man-Haters because they're all lesbians."

FALSE!

Again, this is assuming that all feminists are women and that all feminist think they are superior to men and hate them. Which, considering I've already written a section on why that is not true, should be know to be false. This is coming from the men who believe that any woman who wants equality and hangs around a lot of women must be a lesbian, because why else would they want the same rights as men. They must NOT be heterosexuals then, because all gay people are delinquent, obviously. *In case you didn't notice, the last few sentences were sarcasm. Just a heads up.*

5. "Feminists only want gender equality."

WRONG!

Again, as stated above, FEMINISM = EQUALITY. That doesn't mean just the equality of the genders. That means equality of every kind (Race, Class, Gender, Sexuality). And what people need to realize is that none of the categories are separate. A method called 'intersectionality' is now commonly taught in sociology classes. Intersectionality is the awareness that one label is not a lone factor in someone's identity. For instance, say someone was Black, Gay, a Woman, and Poor. These are all minority identities but they should not be studied separately. Instead, you have to factor in that the experience of a poor, gay, black woman is going to be different than the experience of even a rich, gay, black woman. All of the identities function together. And so does the equality that feminists strive for.

And finally, my least favorite...

6. "I'm not a Feminist, but I support....."

Absolutely WRONG!

People hesitate to call themselves feminists because of all of the negative stereotypes they have seen and heard. So they say they support equality of the genders or races or sexualities or the classes, but then quickly verify with the person that they are talking to that they are NOT feminists. But, just like you shouldn't judge someone by the stereotypes associated with their identities, you shouldn't judge feminists by the stereotypes associated with theirs.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if some of you had run into a person who called themselves a feminist and then said person proceeded to spout hate. All I am saying is to take those people with a grain of salt or completely dismiss them all together. If my article proves anything, I hope it proves that feminism isn't selective, it isn't segregated, and that it isn't what everyone else says it is.

Remember:

Feminism = Equality

I am proud to say that I am a Feminist BECAUSE I support equality.

So please, after you've read this article and know what it means to be a true feminist, don't be afraid to declare yourself a feminist, or in other words, to declare yourself as a person who believes in equality.

#TheRealFeminism