What Happens When You Break Up In A Small Town

"You gotta move or move on when you break up in a small town" - Sam Hunt

177

Breakups are something everyone will experience at some point. If you've gone through a breakup you'll know the pain is unbearable. It feels like everywhere you look you're reminded of them. That's inevitable, especially when you live in a small town.

Your relationship was the one that everyone rooted for, the one everyone wished would work out. Everyone thought you'd get married and never leave the little town you both grew up in. No matter how much time passes people still ask you about them because that's all they remember. It's not a perfect world, though, and it just wasn't meant to be.

Things probably would have worked out differently if you didn't live in a small town. People wouldn't still ask you about them, because they probably wouldn't know who they were. In your case, though, they live down the street from one another. Word wouldn't have traveled as fast, causing rumors to spread like a wildfire. Rumors that ultimately ruined whatever you had left.

You can't go to the other side of town without being reminded of a distant memory of them. Whether it be going to the store because there was nothing else to do, or going to your friend's house because you had the same friends. You don't regret any of the memories, though, because no matter how bad the breakup was you don't regret any second. Friends tried to act like nothing happened, but it's hard. They tried to make it work but ultimately everyone chose sides and you all parted.

Everyone act's as if your relationship was open, and asks you too many questions. Some of the questions they asked were too personal and you wouldn't even tell your mom the truth. When you didn't respond, they formed their own answer and made it something it wasn't. It got to a point where you didn't even know what was real and what wasn't.

Once you split up they were already with someone new, because it's not difficult to find someone in a small town. You don't mind, though, because small-town relationships don't work out when you're meant to live in the big city.