To All The Brave, Strong and Trailblazing Humans Who Came Before Me

Someone else has had a similar experience and can offer their advice, and expertise or just show that you are not alone.

27
pexels.com

Alright, so maybe I was just an oblivious child when I was growing up or maybe I was just too busy doing who knows what to notice, but as far as I can remember during my middle school and early highschool years, there weren’t a lot of people that I saw in the media truly embracing who they were and standing up for what they believed in. Whether it be body positivity, the LGBTQ+ community, racial or gender injustices, mental health or any of the other potentially controversial but nonetheless incredibly important topics that people believe in, I don’t remember people speaking out on behalf of these ideas, ideals, and standards in a positive (or negative for that matter) way. These were taboo subjects that people just didn’t talk about and nobody really questioned it.

Now maybe people did talk about it, but I just didn’t know, that is highly possible. However in the past 3-4 years I have felt a huge increase of people, regular everyday people, celebrities or anyone in between, speaking up about issues that society doesn’t talk about. I used to think that it was useless to put a spotlight on these topics because I didn’t believe that it would make a difference myself included. I never thought that simply talking about it, would make it more socially acceptable.

in middle school I never thought I would be someone who was completely unafraid to talk about my mental health, sex and sexuality, gender, race etc. Even though I don’t identify as a member of the LBGTQ+ community, having watched people become more and more socially accepted no matter who they chose to love has made my heart soar. People talking openly and honestly about their personal mental health journeys with all of their triumphs and defeats has helped me through my own mental health process in being open to and accepting of help and willing to share my story with others.

The body positivity movement has been empowering to watch because even though I never had major struggles with my body image it was, and still is definitely something I think about a lot. Having so many strong, beautiful, confident, powerful, incredible human beings showing that it is amazing to be who you are, not care about other people’s opinions and break new ground on what it means to be beautiful has been empowering to me in place that I didn’t even know I was lacking.

Buzzfeed videos, ads for tampons, articles written by people who have gone through really tough life experiences, all help start a conversation and show young people who are just trying to figure everything out, that no matter who you are, what you are going through or what has happened to you it’s ok to talk about it. Someone else has had a similar experience and can offer their advice, and expertise or just show that you are not alone.

Celebrities like Emma Watson, Chrissy Teigen, Amy Poehler, and so many more use their status that society has given them, to do something good with their voice. There are men as well who have been placed on a pedestal due to their fame wealth or talent that help spread the message of self love, empowerment, or some other unique experience with the world however I’m on a little bit of a feminist and empowering thought train right now I don’t really want it to end.

So anyway, throughout the past few years I have been so thankful for all the people who came before me to help start paving the way to accepting and loving people for who they are no matter how similar or different they may be from yourself. I have learned that it is ok to take time for myself and that it is not selfish. I have learned that it is ok to love myself even when I don’t love everything about me. I know that everyone has insecurities but they aren’t something to be ashamed of. I have learned that everyone is fighting some battle that we may know nothing about. I have learned that it’s ok to feel however I feel and that my emotions are not something to hide but to embrace. I have learned to be thankful for the people who took a leap of faith and be open with the world about who they are so it makes it just a little bit easier for every person who comes after them.

If you are one of those people I would like to say thank you. Thank you for being a part of a community who isn’t afraid to stand up and speak out about things that are important to you. Thank you for sharing your story with the world to show others they aren’t alone. Thank you for supporting those who may struggle with being open and honest about their struggles and loving them anyway. Thank you for the part you played without even knowing it, in making me the confident, insightful, honest, strong and beautiful woman that I am today.