Brain Injury Awareness Month

Brain Injury Awareness Month

This year’s theme: Not Alone.

62
Brain Injury Awareness Month
Google Images

Fact: more than two million children and adults sustain a traumatic brain injury each year in the U.S. alone. Every year, the Brain Injury Association of America recognizes National Brain Injury Awareness Month in March. The goal is to raise more awareness each year about the affects a brain injury can have on a person. Along with the awareness month, Brain Injury Awareness Day takes place on March 22.

There are two types of brain injuries: traumatic brain injury (TBI) and acquired brain injury (ABI) usually from nontraumatic causes. As mentioned, the number of TBIs is estimated in the millions, while another 795 thousand individuals sustain ABIs. Traumatic injuries to the brain can affect functionality. Areas such as thinking, reasoning and memory can all be affected by a traumatic injury to the brain.

The Brain Injury Association of America (BIAA) is the nation’s leader in observing Brain Injury Awareness Month conducting campaigns each year. From 2015 to 2017, the theme of the campaign is: Not Alone. The idea of this is that people with injuries, and those standing by the injured, are not alone. The campaign provides a platform to educate the public about the incidence of brain injury and the needs of those afflicted. This includes the patients and their families.

Outreach is also part of the campaign. Within the brain injury community, the goal is to de-stigmatize the injury, empower survivors, and promote every type of support available. This is done through events, social media, PSAs, posters, flyers, ads, and fact sheets. The more awareness available to the public, the better the chances for complete understanding.

The research on brain injuries and the effects are still endless. Recent research in neuroscience shows that there may be opposite effects in boys’ and girls’ brains after suffering a trauma. Other areas of neuroscience are searching for new ways to keep cells alive in damaged environments. The goal would be to prompt the brain and spinal cord to generate new cells, which would create better rehabilitation programs for millions worldwide living with neurological injuries.

The source of such brain injuries could come from sports, car accidents, etc. The more preventive measures that can be taken to protect the brain in such scenarios, the more the injuries can be avoided in the first place. In some cases, incidents that can lead to an injury may not be entirely avoided. However, the attempt should be made in times that the scenario can be controlled and injury prevented.

For more information and facts about brain injuries, visit:

www.brainfacts.org

For more information about the campaign for Brain Injury Awareness Month, visit:

www.biausa.org/brain-injury-awareness-month

Look out for more information and awareness on March 22 for 2017’s Brain Injury Awareness Day.