"To All the Boys I've Loved Before"not A Romance Movie

Girls, Lara Jean Covey And Peter Kavinsky Are Not The Epitome Of Relationship Goals So Chill

I will never allow a guy to put his hand in my back pocket.

1380

On August 17, 2018, Netflix released their newest original movie that was a romantic comedy that was geared towards the young adult population. Immediately after its release, I was (on multiple occasions) told that I needed to watch Netflix's newest romantic phenomenon.

It took a few weeks, but before I knew it the hopeless romantic in me, and the fact that Netflix had rated this movie as being a 99 percent match for me won out. So there I was in my bed spending the Sunday night of Labor Day weekend watching yet another RomCom.

It took me no more than 10 minutes into the movie to realize that I absolutely hated everything this movie represented and the entire premise behind it. Now, don't get me wrong, as I said I am a hopeless romantic so I continued to push through and spent the next hour and 39 minutes of my life watching "To All the Boys I've Loved Before."

To be quite frank with you, the quality of the movie was pretty spectacular. What I couldn't stand was the overall cringe factor of Peter and Lara Jean's relationship from start to end and the overbearing pressure placed on Lara Jean by her family to get a boyfriend. I'll first speak to the cringe-worthy relationship between Peter and Lara Jean before moving on to the family.

Okay, I'm just going to go ahead and say it (and I'll probably get hades for it but oh well): I will never allow a guy to put his hand in my back pocket.

Yes, I understand it's from a movie, but it isn't cute. In my honest opinion, it is demeaning and overly territorial. Not to mention it's just plain weird looking. Say what you want about me not being able to understand the intimacy of it because I've never had a relationship, but it's just too weird for me personally.

Now that that's out of my system I will move on to how horrible the entire premise of Lara Jean and Peter's relationship is. Their relationship was doomed from the very beginning. Maybe that was the point of the entire movie that they fall apart so that they could realize that they genuinely had feelings for each other, but the started a relationship under the worst possible pretenses. Using another person for your own personal gain is, in my opinion, just wrong. Plain and simple, sorry not sorry. As can be seen throughout the movie it leads to nothing but insecurities on both ends and is overall detrimental.

As someone who has struggled with insecurities for years, it irks me to no end that Netflix would condone, and even encourage, this as some form of ok occurrence because it's high school and that's "just what happens in high school." I'm going to say one more thing and I'll leave this because I could continue on this rant for a long time, but I'm sure no one wants to hear that. I found myself vicariously feeling my own insecurities as I watched Lara Jean begin to question whether or not she would ever be someone's first choice. No one should have to watch a movie and relate to a character to the point that they begin to doubt themselves.

Okay, now on to the family. First and foremost, her sister not only screwed up in sending the letters but saying her heart was in the right place is an incredibly hard stretch. When she is explaining her logic behind sending out the letters she says she sent them all because five chances at a boyfriend are better than none. Also, earlier in the movie when they had their "Golden Girls" marathon she continues to emphasize that Laura Jean doesn't have that many friends and a boyfriend would change that.

I cannot begin to tell you how flawed this logic is. First, and foremost, you do not need a man to define who you are. As someone who is 20-years-old and has never had a boyfriend, the fact that this movie places such a huge emphasis on this idea irritates me. Why as a society do we continue to push girls to seek acceptance in how many guys they've dated or who they're dating? Maybe that's me reading too much into it and I should've just seen the movie as a comedic take on owning up to your feelings for someone, but I didn't.

Kitty wasn't the only family member that practically forced Lara Jean into a relationship. Her dad basically forced her to be with Peter when he sent her to the party with him. Now, I get his intentions were a bit purer than Kitty's, and he didn't realize the entire situation, but still, he's at fault. Her family's pressure on the notion that at 16-years-old it's absolutely absurd that she's still single makes for a great movie, but at the end of the day, the reality of the situation is that living in this kind of pressure cooker only leads people to have further insecurities and self-esteem issues.

I could go on in my rant on this movie, but I'll stop here because I feel like I've voiced my opinion enough. To some, this is the perfect romantic comedy to curl up with a big bowl of popcorn and indulge in for your next girl's night, but it isn't for me.

I just can't get on board with a movie whose primary relationship is a dysfunctional mess that encourages jealousy, playing with another's emotions and self-doubt. Even after watching it a second time I just simply could not get over the negative ideas that this movie condones regarding relationships.

So, to me, Lara Jean and Peter will never be "goals" because no one should have to be a part of a relationship where they are constantly doubting the stability of the relationship or themselves. Yes, they had a contract they both agreed to, but that doesn't make it any better at the end of the day.

People still got hurt on so many levels and it's just not cool. That's why I can't get on board with calling this a romance movie.