Boyfriend Schmoyfriend

Boyfriend Schmoyfriend

54

I am here to tell you the top 5 reasons why not having a significant other in college is NOT the absolute worst thing in the world. Sure, every now and then you’d love to cuddle during a movie or have that oh so affectionate “good morning text”, but there are SO MANY positive things about being single. The four years spent in college are supposed to be the best years of our life. From an independent, single girls standpoint I want to share why I believe being single is not only a good, but a GREAT thing.

1. Dating

College is the time to date. Sure, a few of the lucky ones find that other half that makes them whole, but face it, most of us don’t. Why settle for someone less than that just to have a boyfriend/girlfriend? Go on dates! Be outgoing and open to people! Give someone a chance they would never have gotten if you were taken.

2. Commitment

Not being in a relationship means no commitment, which can be a great thing. College students are busy, having to commit to school, work, sorority/fraternity, and a boyfriend/girlfriend can be hard to handle. Less commitment can = less stress.

3. Holiday Presents

Need I say more? Worrying about what your significant other wants for the upcoming holiday can be stressful. Worrying about how you are going to afford it can be even worse. Besides, mom and dad are way better at gift-giving when it comes to those holidays anyways. 

4. Focus

We are in college to go to school. This is a time where excellent grades and getting internships can make or break our futures. The less you have to focus on fighting with your man, the more you can focus on acing that test in your hardest class this semester. Sure, having a “partner” isn’t always extremely distracting, but no relationship is perfect. There will always be those nights you’re up fighting, or worrying about why he liked some girl’s Instragam picture. These are distractions that can keep you from being the best you can be in school.

5. Best friends

Now is the time where we are going to be making lifelong friends.  You start to drift away from your high school click and really move into a college one. More students need to be focused on creating friendships that will last forever rather than spending all your time on a boyfriend/girlfriend. So many people make the mistake of wasting time worrying about a partner and spending every waking minute with them when you find one. Work on finding your bridesmaids now and the right man will come after.

All-in-all the concept of needing a college boyfriend/girlfriend is extremely overrated. I’m not aiming to sound like a single, strong feminist, but I truly believe there are benefits to not having a significant other. There will come a time when you find the one you need to marry, and that time does not have to be during college!