Can My Boyfriend Also Be My Best Friend?
Dating

7 Reasons My Boyfriend Also Moonlights As My Best Friend

Because who doesn't want to date their best friend?

285
Daniela Paredes

There is nothing better than dating your best friend, but that doesn't have to mean you started off as best friends in the first place. It wasn't until deep in my relationship that I realize my boyfriend had become my number one confidante and partner in crime.

1. He's the one person that I can count on to keep a secret.

Yes, I have girl besties who I love with my heart and soul and who I deeply cherish – but girl drama can sometimes take the wrong turn. You never know where the info you have will end up if you have a small friend group, and who know other people who will probably find out it was you that disseminated that information.

Talking to my boyfriend and telling him all about drama and secrets I know of is a huge relief when I'm aching to get something off my chest but know I shouldn't be talking about it to most people I know. Even if they're people we both know, our unique bond and overarching trust reassures me I can always count on him no matter what.

2. We always gossip together.

I can have as much a good time gossiping and spilling tea with my boyfriend as I do with my best friends from high school. The gossiping never ends, and it's always a good time. If you can spill tea with your bf as well as you can with your lifelong friends – he's a keeper.

3. We're there for one another when no one else is.

I have amazing friends. So does he. We have close friends who we've grown up with or who we spend more time with, but the matter of the fact is I can't count on others the way I can count on him. That's not because my other friends wouldn't be there for me, I know they would. It's simply because the closeness and the emotional relationship between my boyfriend and I are so great that if it's 3 a.m. and he can't sleep, he can feel free to call me so that I can be there for him – there are no barriers and no questions asked. A friend may not necessarily understand or might have responsibilities the next day. The dynamic is simply different.

4. We play the same games, watch the same shows on Netflix, challenge and

compete with each other.

Which one of us will finish this season of That '70s Show faster? Which one of us will beat the other on SongPop? Can my boyfriend finish the entire first season of Captain Underpants on Netflix in one night? The possibilities are endless, and so is the fun. Whether you have a competitive spirit or just like to have fun with your significant other, the fact that both of you watch and play the same games and shows is a big sign you're BFFs.

5. We can go from goofing around to sexy real quick.

We can go from binge-watching kids movies and eating nachos to hot make out sesh in no time! If you feel comfortable to this extent around your SO, you're definitely walking on bff territory.

6. We're 100% comfortable around each other.

No makeup? Lazy day? Sitting around eating junk food and candy together all day? Farting? True friendship knows no barriers. Comfortable means you can look ugly and enjoy it. This is a staple of any friendship! I know my boyfriend and I definitely have this, and all it means is that we love each other so much that nothing will ever stand in the way of that – not even stinky sweatshirts, sweaty feet or bad breath after a long comfortable, post-Netflix nap.

7. We love each other unconditionally.

Best friends stand the test of time. They can make up even when most couples can't. They stand by your side no matter what. They support you whether you're pursuing your dreams or going through the hardest moment in your life. To my boyfriend, you are my best friend – and that means a lot because best friends love each other unconditionally and overcome the test of time.