Boy Named Banjo Interview

Boy Named Banjo Interview

Nashville band makes me love banjo--and why you will too

43
Boy Named Banjo Interview

Before their free performance on the rooftop of the Georgia Theatre, Boy Named Banjo, let me grab a couple questions on their musical roots from Nashville, band identity and inciting future plans. It was Friday before the University of Georgia and Vanderbilt weekend and the venue was packed with college kids, many of which were my friends. The rooftop had great ambiance from the setting sun and lent a small space to the featured band, Boy Named Banjo. My best friend, Peaches, blasted one of their songs, "Blue Hole Bridge" through the stereo of my car a summer prior and raved about how she had found this band that gave her "good vibes only." Apart from the lousy joke, I was kindly taken in by the banjo, learning later that their name, of course, is part of that. Labeled as an "Americana-roots" band and being from Nashville, I could only agree that this was fitting.

After walking up to the slightly intimidating (due to talent) group of guys, I got to chat with Barton Davies, (vocals, banjo, guitar) William Reames, (vocals, guitar, harmonica) Willard Logan (vocals, guitar, mandolin) Sam Mccullough (vocals, drums, percussion) and Abraham Scott (vocals, bass) about their tour and EP, "Lost On Main."

How did the band get started?

Three of us went to the same high school together, in Nashville, and William and I met in class together. Ultimately we all just started jamming in the parking lot together and stuff, which turned into writing songs. We picked up Willard, stole him from another high school band, and we were a trio for a year or two, then we got sam, our drummer and Abe who plays bass. We've been a five piece for like three years.

How did you get the name?

Honestly just popped into my head, there's not good explanation for it.

How has being from Nashville either aid or inhibit your growth as a band?

I'd say it helped a lot, all of us growing up there, we know a lot of people who we were able to reach out to and get help from. There's a lot of music there so we are always inspired to keep going and love to see our favorite bands come to town--I would say it just keeps the fire lit.

I think the only negative would be that at times it is over saturated, but it's usually more a plus than a con

What is the music writing process?

Now we are trying to collaborate as five writers more, the music is getting a lot better for it.

One Influence as a band, what would it be?

Flying Burrito Brothers, 1970s band.

What has been your biggest achievement so far?

I don't think anything has topped Bonnaroo so far...but coming up, we're playing at the Bijou Theatre in Knoxville. That's the biggest venue we've played in hands down, it's 700 person capacity.

Did you meet with anyone at Bonnaroo that was your idol?

Barton: Um I met Taylor Gold Smith, he's probably my biggest idol. He is the singer and songwriter for Dolls. I love their music, and he was super nice.

If you had to be a drink, what would it be?

William: beer--classic

Willard: jack and coke

Sam: tall glass of water

Abe: nice red wine

Barton: bushwacker