Boston Calling Music Festival

Boston Calling Music Festival

A festival that thrives on people savoring the music, moments, and memories.

35
Boston Calling Music Festival
Andrea LaBonte
The following piece was written by Joyce LaBonté. Joyce has given me permission to publish the following article.

As we grow older it is hard to stay in touch with the people around us. Personally, as we have grown, it has become harder and harder to hang out with my sister Andrea. I went off to college in Colorado while she went to college in New Hampshire. Life started to get in the way with internships, work, school, relationships, and we had little time to hang out like we used to. This summer I was coming home to work and Andrea was leaving for an internship in D.C., we only had 5 days at home together.

Originally for this experimental activity I planned a hike with one of my best friends, the plan was to eat lunch at the top of a mountain and savor the view. I was at his house when I got a text from my sister asking if I wanted go to Boston Calling, a three day music festival, with her and her friend Jordan. One of her friends had something come up and was unable to go to the last two days of the festival. I was on the fence for about two minutes due to my plans, but I quickly decided that this is what savoring the moment is. Sometimes things don’t always go as planned and you simply must adjust.

Not every day you get the chance to go a music festival for free. This isn’t Woodstock in 1969. It’s 2017 and tickets for things like this cost upwards of 300 dollars. So, I raced home and had 15 minutes to get ready. I put on my only pair of jeans that were clean, put a tank top on, tied my flannel around my waist, and laced up my ratty converse. After I was dressed I doused myself in sunblock, I grabbed my wallet, phone, borrowed a pair of Jordan’s sunglasses and we were on our way. I had no idea what bands where playing or the venue, all I knew was it would be an adventure with my sister and Jordan. When I got to the car I put aside any worries I had about ditching my plans and I got ready to have ourselves a day.

When we arrived at Harvard university where the festival was being held I had no cell phone service because of the rumored 32,000 people at the festival trying to use their cell phones. The fact that I was unable to use my phone made the experience with my sister and Jordan that much better. I wasn’t texting anyone or on social media… I was cut off from all that, allowing me to truly be in the moment with them. No service made it easier for me to savor the music, food and good conversation. I enjoyed this festival more than I’ve enjoyed concerts in the past where I went with a large group of people and tailgated in the parking lot beforehand.

Boston Calling was an all-day event so it was more about the music and less about drinking. The down side of going with a large group of people is that it’s hard to navigate big events, it can sometimes feel like you’re herding animals trying to get everyone together. At the Festival with Andrea and Jordan it was simple and easy. The three of us all seemed to be on the same page about wanting to get food, go to a different stage to see a different band, or lie on the field because our feet hurt.

Some strategies I used to savor this experience was sharing it with the right people and making memories. I knew I had little time with Andrea before she left for her internship and I also knew I might not see her until Christmas, so it was very special that I got to share this experience with her. These days in particular made me realize that opportunities like this don’t come around often so I should live life fully and take advantage of them when I can.

At the festival, I wanted to take the time to absorbed the moment and to really get into the music. I took a step back to relish in the moment the music the people around me and slow it down. In the middle of this big crowd I am one person of rumored 32,000 that attended. In the crowd, I can feel the music coming from the stage, each beat pulsing through my toes and feet up my body to my chest and head. I look to my left and see Jordan with his red bandana tied around his head, his eyes are closed while he passionately sings all the words to his favorite song.

I look to my right I see my sister, dancing effortlessly and beautifully without a care. Andrea’s rhythm and signature moves remind me of that of our mother, dancing in our living room on a rainy day to Janis Joplin. I had moments of euphoria, where I was overcome with happiness and the feeling that I didn’t want the moment to end. I loved laughing with Andrea and Jordan as we lay on the grass between shows. I loved dancing to the bands we didn’t even know while we wait in line for our food. I loved that when a good song was playing we couldn’t help but dance no matter how exhausted we were.

I learned how crucial it is to savor a moment and to savor the moment with the people you’re in the moment with and not being connected to my phone. I think the idea of savoring and living in the moment isn’t something I will stop doing it something I plan to carry forward thought-out my life