Books You Need to Read Before You Die

Books You Need to Read Before You Die

Out of all the books I've read in my life, here is narrowed list of a few of my favorites and recommendations.

86
Books You Need to Read Before You Die
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/10/14/636436016802992931-1847715459_book-lovers-day-2-1220x686.jpg

Books are the perfect way to escape the world and enter a new one. I always find myself snuggling up and reading when things get stressful or I get bored. Below is a list of books I've read and loved and you should too.

1. Me And Earl And The Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

This is honestly one of the best cancer books I've read in my life. The story follows Greg Gaines, a seventeen-year-old who has managed to join every social group at his school without having any friends, with the exception of his "co-worker" Earl who he makes movies with. This all changes when his mom forces him to hang out with Rachel Kushner, a girl who he has known throughout his childhood but now has cancer. Out of all the cancer books I've read, this one stands on its own. It's a hilarious and heartwarming tear-jerker.

2. The Maze Runner series by James Dashner

Okay so I may be a bit biased on this one because it is my favorite book series but I had to include it here. You've probably watched the first two film installments of the story but reading the books is worth it. The trilogy follows Thomas, who has lost all his memories and goes through a series of trials mysterious organization WICKED has put him and the other "Gladers" up to. Thomas and his friends start to piece together secrets about WICKED as they learn about what has happened to the world. It's not the easiest story to describe as there is a lot of plot but if you haven't read the books yet, they're a must read. These books are addicting and the way Dashner writes will keep you flipping the pages. There are also two prequels in the series titled The Kill Order and The Fever Code.

3. Gone series by Michael Grant

This is series you may have heard about but never actually read before. The story centers on a fictional town San Perdido where suddenly anyone who is fifteen years old and up vanishes. Anyone under that age in the town and surrounding areas have been locked inside a dome barrier. Each chapter focuses on a few characters at a time as they (not everyone) discover supernatural powers and the mysterious creature known as the Darkness or the gaiaphage. Together, the protagonist Sam Temple and the other residents of San Perdido survive, try to figure out how to defeat the Darkness, and destroy the energy dome. I fell in love with this series the moment I opened the first book. It's a fast paced and nail-biting story that anyone can connect to.

4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

You've probably read this classic, but if you didn't, it's a worthwhile read. The story is told by six-year-old Jean Louise Finch (Scout). In the small town of Maycomb, Alabama, Scout tells about her childhood with her brother Jem, friend Dill, father Atticus, and the mysterious Boo Radley. With its primary themes of racial injustice and destruction of innocence, there are countless lessons taught in this novel. It's one of the most beautiful books I've read to date.

5. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

The first book I read in high school for class was this novel. On his wedding day, Edmond Dantès, a merchant sailor, is accused of treason, arrested, and imprisoned without trial. After escaping prison and adopting the new title of the Count of Monte Cristo, Dantès gets his revenge on the men who betrayed him and helps a couple of others along the way. This tops the list of best pieces of literature I've read in my life and if you haven't read it yet, this one should be number one on your "Books to Read" list.

6. Second Planet by Shelby Merry

I haven't actually finished this one yet but from how far I've gotten, its incredible. From new author and a friend of mine, Shelby Merry is a genius. In the book, the Earth is dying and is run under one government called The Union, which is trying to search for a new home. When they receive a strange signal from a close by solar system, Harper and five other prisoners are given the chance to be released early if they go investigate the place where this signal is coming from. If this doesn't make you interested in the book, I don't know what will. I'm loving this book and I can't wait to continue reading it. Also, the book comes with a soundtrack that Merry composed herself so bonus!

7. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

I read this book my senior year of high school and I absolutely loved it. It's set during World War I and follows a group of men who create a sense of brotherhood during the war. There isn't a dull moment in this story and is quite a powerful read. You'll laugh, cry, and fall in love with the characters and story. If you like war books, this one is for you.

8. Front Lines by Michael Grant

Another great series by the brilliant Michael Grant is Front Lines. This is also a something for those who like war stories. It's set during an alternate World War II where women and men must fight along the front lines. The book is written in the viewpoints of three girls, Rio Richlin, Rainy Schulterman, and Frangie Marr as they sign up to fight. This is one of the most unique war stories I've read and I'm looking forward to digging into the other two books in this trilogy.

9. Life as We Knew It series by Susan Beth Pfeffer

I remember reading the first book in this series back in middle school and fell in love with it so naturally, I was going to read the other books. The Life as We Knew it books are ones that stand on their own from other science fiction/post-apocalyptic stories. The book starts when the moon gets knocked closer to Earth by a meteor. Miranda Evans and her family prepare for their future while trying to survive the artic winter weather in their sunroom. You will love every second of reading these books. They're fantastic, emotional, fast-paced, and enjoyable. This is a nice series to cuddle up to before going to bed.

10. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

I read this in high school and it's honestly one of the best I came across during those four years. This dystopian novel is set in a future American society where books are outlawed. Guy Montag, one of many "firemen" must burn any books they find along with all the possessions of those who are caught with them. After Montag meets Clarisse and is jarred by another women's suicide by her burning up with her house and books, he starts to change his views on they way he and those around him live. This is a must read. It's raw, nerve-wracking, and overall captivating.

11. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

It's pretty obvious why this one is here.