9 Great Books To Read During Your Free Time This Semester

Can't go outside? Crack open a book!

2189
Unsplash

Social distancing and "Zoom University" have given all of us a lot of extra free time, and as someone who loves to read, I thought I'd share some of my favorite reads to pass time during quarantine!

1. "The Siren" by Kiera Cass

This is my all-time favorite book, so I had to start the list with this one! Kiera Cass creates a fantastic narrative about a group of girls who are Sirens chosen by the Ocean, living among everyday people, and their struggles with assimilating. I don't want to give away too much of the story, but it is one of the most wonderful love stories that I've ever read.

2. "The Ending I Want" by Samantha Towle

This book is for my ladies who are sick of "50 Shades of Grey" and "365." This book is every bit as saucy as "50 Shades", and you'll love Liam Hunter every bit as much as Christian Grey, but it has a much better storyline, and the characters have a lot more substance (in my opinion)!

3. "Every Day" & "Another Day" by David Levithan

"Every Day" is the first in a two-book series by David Levithan, which was already adapted into a movie in 2018! The second book, "Another Day," has not yet been adapted but I would get reading, so you can have read both books before you watch either of the movies!

4. "I Am The Messenger" by Markus Zusak

Everyone knows Markus Zusak for his masterpiece, "The Book Thief." However, "I Am The Messenger" is one of his earliest books and is an amazing story of fate and how no matter how ordinary or unimportant you think you are, you are capable of great things.

5. "The Selection" series by Kiera Cass

Another by Kiera Cass, this book series called "The Selection" follows America Singer, who is chosen from her province to take part in the Selection, where Prince Maxon of Illea, will choose one of 35 girls, one from each province, to become his bride, and the Queen of Illea.

In case you needed convincing that this series is fantastic, Netflix recently picked it up and will be developing it into a film series!

6. "The Glittering Court" series by Richelle Mead

I was recently put on to this series because I'm a fan of The Selection, and my god is it fantastic! There are three books in the series: "The Glittering Court," "Midnight Jewel," and "The Emerald Sea". I've just read the first one so far, but the story follows a girl who takes on the name Adelaide Bailey, and Mead constructs a beautiful forbidden love story with more plot twists than you can count!

7. "The Belles" by Dhionelle Clayton

In an alternate past, Camellia Beauregard is a Belle, tasked with sharing her beauty, which is a rare gift, since everyone is born gray, and transforming others to make them beautiful.

8. "Since You've Been Gone" by Morgan Matson

The story of the summer that wasn't supposed to be. When her best friend disappears at the beginning of the summer, leaving nothing but a list of tasks to complete, Emily makes some unexpected friends as she finishes her list in hopes that it will lead her to her friend Sloane.

9. "Every Soul A Star" by Wendy Mass

This story is unusual in that each chapter rotates POV among the three main characters, Jack, who is shy and a bit awkward, Ally, who is bright and ambitious, and Bree, who is confident but a bit self-absorbed. Fate brings them all together when they meet to watch a solar eclipse together and learn about what is really important in life.