Winter reads

7 Books From 7 Genres To Get You Through The Winter Blues

These books are perfect for taking a break from finals stress or for sitting inside warm and cozy while the temperature drops.

34

With the stress of finals ramping up and the temperatures continuing to drop, there is no better time to crack open a book this winter. Books are super diverse in terms of genre, quality, and intended audience, so here are some books from different genres to really help you fight those winter time blues.

1. Magic Realism/Fantasy - "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman 

This book is a classic of fantasy and magical realism and has been pretty much since its release. However, I cannot recommend this book enough. With the second season of the Starz series based on the book coming up in the spring, now is the time to get invested in this story of Old Gods vs. New Gods. I especially recommend this book for anyone writing any final papers for history, particularly of folklore, because this book has a lot of amazing, well-researched background on all of the cultural legends and mythological figures from all around the world.

2. True Crime - "I'll Be Gone In The Dark" by Michelle McNamara.

This book had me completely invested from the first few pages. An account not only of one of the most infamous, yet widely unknown and uncaptured, criminals in American history and one woman's search to finally discover his identity, this book is thrilling, to say the least. I mentioned this book in my article about reading to destress, as I read this book while getting through midterms earlier this semester. So believe me when I say I believe this book is the perfect read come finals time.

3. Biographical - "The Glass Castle: A Memoir" by Jeannette Walls 

Glass Castle

Source: Flickr

c1.staticflickr.com

This memoir isn't one of a world leader or some significant historical figure that shaped our country, but that doesn't make the story contained within any less interesting. Walls lived a drifter's life throughout her childhood, and the tales she has to tell weave a complex and enthralling tale of childhood, difficult families, and coming to terms with your past. This book is a popular one, and there's a reason for all the hype, trust me.

4. Romance - "The Bronze Horseman" by Paulina Simons 

Set in Russia during WWII, this story of forbidden love intertwines with the struggle of citizens impacted by the war to paint a bleak yet still hopeful portrait of two people hopelessly in love. This story is full of passion and also insight into the Russian experience of the second World War, not often discussed in American history. Overall, this is a a very beautiful, strong love story worth checking out.

5. Historical Fiction - "The Underground Railroad" by Colson Whitehead

Whitehead

I recently had to read this book for one of my classes, and it is honestly one of the best required readings I've ever read. Colson Whitehead reshapes the Underground Railroad, mixing elements of fantasy and magical realism with true events regarding race in the United States to create a thrilling ride. This book is a masterclass in creativity and gives insight to a lot of true experiences African-Americans have had to face throughout American history.

6. Historical Nonfiction - "All The President's Men" by Bob Woodward And Carl Bernstein 

This is one of my favorite books of all time, and also contains one of the most important stories of American history. We all know the basics of Watergate and the impact the event and its fallout has had on the American political sphere and public opinion on presidents ever since. However, this book delves deep into how such an important moment of history was uncovered and exposed by two young journalists. Even if you aren't the biggest fan of history, this book is still an enthralling read and perfect if you have a US History final coming up this month. Bonus: The film version starring Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman is also free on Amazon Prime.

7. Thriller - "You" by Caroline Kepnes 

This book is extremely unsettling, but that's part of its magic. "You" is told from the perspective of a young man obsessed with a customer at his bookstore and how he infiltrates her life through pervasive and extremely invasive means. The story was recently turned into a TV show on Lifetime, starring Penn Badgley and Shay Mitchell, but I would definitely recommend reading the book first. There's nothing that beats the unsetting and unreliable first-person narration Caroline Kepnes really mastered. If you're a fan of books like "American Psycho," or thrillers in general, this is definitely a must-read.

The winter time is the perfect time to crack open a book, no matter what genre you love or are interested in getting into. Whether it be a classic or the latest novel from an author on the rise, reading is one of my personal favorite activities to get through both finals and winter break. So, grab some hot cocoa (or whatever hot beverage you prefer), and open up one of these really good books or one of your personal favorites, and enjoy the cozy indoors this cold winter!