Books that Will Make You Nostalgic for Elementary School

Remember the days when everything, including books, was simpler?

715
lausd

With all of the stress that college brings, it is easy to wish for the easier times, such as elementary school. Of course, it is impossible to be physically transported, why not be mentally transported? Looking at the books that elementary school students love is the perfect way to do so.

The Magic Tree House Series by Mary Pope Osborne

Jack and Annie find a tree house that transports them to different places. These books will excite the imagination.

The Magic School Bus by Joanna Cole

Eccentric teacher Ms. Frizzle takes her class on field trips to a variety of places, such as the solar system and the human body.

Fancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor

Nancy loves to be fancy, but her family does not. Wishing that they would be more like her, Nancy teaches them how to be fancy.

Eloise by Kay Thompson

Eloise lives in the Plaza Hotel in New York City. Join Eloise, her Nanny, pet turtle Skipperdee, and her pet pug Weenie for their unforgetable adventures.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Readers follow Hugo Cabret as he tends to the clocks of Paris. This story is told in both pictures and words, creating a richer experience for readers.

Sweet Valley Twins Series

On the outside, Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield are identical. However, their personalities are as different as day and night. The series follows the twin's as they find the perfect balance between being individuals and friends.

Junie B. Jones Series

"My name is Junie B. Jones. The ‘B’ stands for Beatrice. Except I don’t like Beatrice. I just like B and that’s all." Junie B. Jones is literature's most beloved sassy six year old. These chapter books tell the stories of various fiascios that Junie B. Jones finds herself in.

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Pig Wilbur was born a runt, and was almost killed by Mr. Arable. Mr. Arable's daughter, Fern, begs him to keep Wilbur alive. Wilbur joins forces with Charlotte the spider to keep Wilbur alive.

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

This is a collection of poems and drawings by the beloved Shel Silverstein.

The BFG by Roald Dahl

Young Sophie meets the Big Friendly Giant. She is frightened at first, but then learns that, unlike the mean giants, this giant is friendly. Sophie and The Giant team up to get rid of the mean giants.

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver portrays an utopian society that has eliminated all fear and hatred. The story focuses on the story of Jonas, who's role in the society is to receive memories. Just because this society is an utopia, does that make it flawless?

Because of Winn-Dixie by Katie DiCamillo

Opal and her father move to Naomi, a small town in Florida. One day while grocery shopping, Opal stumbles across a dog who she befriends. Because of Winn-Dixie shares the adventures that Opal and her dog, Winn-Dixie, go on.

American Girl Books

Are these books or time machines? The American Girl books educate the readers on the time periods that the books take place in while telling the stories of young girls. These books promote education in a fun way!

The Babysitters Club book series

If you live in Stoneybrook, Conneticut and need a babysitter, call the Babysitters Club. Each book tells a story from the perspective of a different member of the Babysitters Club, helping readers get to know the different members of the club.

Frindle by Andrew Clements

Genius Nick Allen coins the term "frindle", meaning pen. His classmates catch on, and do not stop until "frindle" appears in the dictionary.

Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes

Chrysanthemum loves her name...that is until Victoria makes fun of her for being named after a flower. Chrysanthemum goes on a journey to find love for her name again.

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Across the creeks in the woods lies Jess and Leslie's fantasy land, Terabithia. In Terabithia, Jess and Leslie can be themselves. Their friendship expands from Terabithia to the real world.

Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar

Wayside School is a backwards school with all sorts of strange problems. Each chapter of this book tells the story of a different student.

A Series of Unfortunate Events

The three Baudelaire siblings are orphaned and adopted by their distant relative, Count Olaf. Unfortunately, Count Olaf only cares about their inheritance, not the children. The spend the series trying to escape from the evil Count Olaf.

Olivia by Ian Falconer

Olivia is a pig with many interests. A day in the life of Olivia includes singing songs, building sand castles, playing dress up, and so much more.

Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown

One morning, Stanley wakes up to find that his bulletin board fell on him in his sleep. And he is flat! Being flat is not as bad as it seems though!

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney

Awkward Greg Heffley is thrown into middle school. Greg faces the awkward middle school moments and records them in his diary.

The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Clearly

Ralph lives in a knothole in the Mountain View Inn. Ralph befriends a child named Kieth who has a toy motorcycle that is the perfect size for Ralph.

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza always believed that she would live in her fancy home in Mexico. Unfortunately, tragedy strikes Esperanza's family. Esperanza and her Mama go to California to work on a Mexican farm camp. Esperanza learns how to handle challenge with grace.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Due to tragedy, Mary Lennox is sent to live with relatives. Mary stumbles across a garden, and with the help of two new friends, she brings the garden back to life.

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson

Young Harold has two powerful tools, a vivd imagination and a purple crayon. Harold uses these two tools to go on many adventures.

The Amber Brown Series

Amber Brown is a fourth grader with a funny personality who faces a variety of obstacles.

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewert

Dozens of children respond to an advertisement that is asking for gifted kids. These children take mind-boggling tests, and only four are chosen.

Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Clearly

Ramona Quimby is faced with many challenges. She has the ride the bus by herself, her sister is moody, and has an egg cracked on her head. Why is life so difficult?

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Quirky Stargirl is the new girl at Mica High. At first, she has the hearts of every member of the school. Eventually, however, she is shunned because of how unique she is. Leo Borlock is in love with her, and tries to get Stargirl to conform in order for everybody to like her. Will she give in to the school's wishes or will she stay true to herself?

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

Every night, a rabbit says goodnight to all of it's possessions as well as the moon.

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin and John Archambault

All of the letters of the alphabet race up the coconut tree. Hopefully there will be enought room!