10 Books To Read This Summer Before The School Year Begins Again

Here are the perfect beach books for the summer.

2096
Photo by Angello Pro on Unsplash

With summer break in full swing, many students have likely already started planning summer vacations! And since many states have lifted COVID restrictions, there have been even more plans made for vacation trips, too. If you enjoy reading, you may be wondering what the best book would be to read while on the beach or near the pool. Luckily, there have been many new releases of reading material that are perfect for the summer! Here are 10 books that you need to read before the school year begins again.

1. "That Summer" by Jennifer Weiner

Jennifer Weiner / Instagram

This is a great book to read either near the pool or on the beach! It features a woman named Daisy who has a successful business. One day, she begins getting emails mistakenly meant for another glamorous single woman named Diana whom she connects with, beginning a friendship that changes her life. The book is a great book for anyone looking for a nice pleasant read for the summer!

2. "The Four Winds" by Kristin Hannah

Kristin Hannah / Instagram

I highly recommend reading this book before school starts! If you love history or even if you enjoy an intense read, you definitely need to read this book. The story takes place during the Dust Bowl, where a woman named Elsa struggles to survive with her two children. She finds herself faced with a tough decision of whether to stay on her land or abandon it to migrate to California in search of a new start.

The book is filled with inspirational moments and intense situations. It illustrates perfectly the hardships that women faced in the 1930s along with the hardships Americans faced during the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression. It's great reading material for the summer!

3. "What Comes After" by JoAnne Tompkins

Chelsea's Lil Book Nook / Instagram

If you are wishing for psychological fiction, you should check out this book! It's a story about the death of two teenage boys. After their shocking death, a girl who is pregnant appears to the parents of the teenage boys and changes everything. It's a great book for anyone looking for a psychological mystery.

4. "In Five Years" by Rebecca Serle

Rebecca Serle / Instagram

If you're looking for a nice romantic novel, this is definitely a book to check out! It features a woman who accepts her boyfriend's marriage proposal then falls asleep feeling content with her life. However, when she awakens, she's in a different apartment with a different ring and a different man beside her. She spends exactly five years in the future before waking up back in her own time period. This is a great read for anyone looking for a nice easy read for the summer!

5. "The Last Thing He Told Me" by Laura Dave

Laura Dave / Instagram

Thrillers are definitely a perfect reading material for the summer! This book is about a woman whose husband has gone missing and is left only with a note. When FBI agents arrest his boss and arrive at her home, she quickly begins to realize that her husband isn't who he said he was. As she begins uncovering the truth, she begins putting together his past and finds more information that is unsettling. This is on the bestsellers list and is filled with shocking twists!

6. "The Push" by Ashely Audrain

Ashley Audrain / Instagram

This is a book that was listed as the "Good Morning America" book club pick! The book features a psychological drama about the breaking up of a family and a woman whose experience of motherhood is nothing that she hoped for and contains all of her fears. If you enjoy books that feature unreliable narrators, you will enjoy reading this book over the summer!

7. "Somebody's Daughter" by Ashley C. Ford

Ashley C. Ford / Instagram

If you're looking for a non-fiction book, this would be a great book to read! The book features a woman who has idolized her father since childhood but struggles growing up as her father ends up in prison. The book is a difficult read since it features discussions on sexual assault, but it is an inspiring and incredible story to read!

8. "People We Meet On Vacation" by Emily Henry

Emily Henry / Inatagram

This book is labeled on the New York Times Bestseller's list and it is a perfect beach read! The story features two best friends, Poppy and Alex, who have nothing in common until one year later, something happens that breaks their friendship. When Poppy decides to convince Alex to take one more vacation together, he agrees and she has one week to fix their relationship.

9. "Malibu Rising" by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Taylor Jenkins Reid / Instagram

This is another book that was labeled on the New York Times Bestseller's list. It features a story about four siblings that throw a party to celebrate the end of the summer, but within 24 hours their lives are changed forever as by morning their mansion has gone up in flames. This is a great read for anyone looking for a dramatic novel.

10. "The Maidens" by Alex Michaelides

Alex Michaelides / Instagram

Finally, if you enjoyed reading "The Silent Patient", you'll enjoy this author's new release. This book is a murder mystery where a detective is trying to uncover the murder of a student. The student was part of a group known as "The Maidens", and it is made up of university students that are devoted to their professor of Greek tragedy.

As more of "The Maidens" group members are killed, the detective becomes determined in finding the murderer. If you've read "The Silent Patient" or enjoy murder mysteries, you'll definitely want to check this book out!

If you're looking for a great book to read over the summer, you should check out any one of the books listed above! They will definitely keep you busy over the summer. Plus, it's important to read as much as you can now before the school year starts again.